Blew up my GTP38R

Kylerf150

Reaction score
I have posted this on the org and figured I would post it here as well.

I destroyed my GTP38r about a month ago. I have been doing allot of research on my next best option.

Here is some history, 2001 Ford F250 200cc/30 swamps hybrids,Gtp 38r with highflow outlet,wicked wheel 2.I only put about 20k on this setup, the shaft snapped in half at a Hard pull coming out of a corner.

Here is what I have been thinking either a H2E modded ,BASB,366 or a S467. I really wish this Garret would have held up to the task. I really don't want to switch to a t4 mount style just due to the fact that I just replaced everything not long ago and had it all ceramic coated.

SO WHATS THE BEST OPTION IN YOUR OPINION?
If not one of these options what do you recommend?
I wont go back to the Garret GTP38R it sounded awesome but smoked like a ***** and never really cleaned up and didn't last long at all!!!

Any help would be very much appreciated I can't make up my mind and don't have anybody around here with any experience with these turbos.
This truck will be a daily driver/ tow rig.

also who makes the best t4 mount kit?

THANKS GUYS!!!!!

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Wow, that sucks. I would expect a 38r being pushed by a 200/30% injector to last a lot longer than 20k. Couple quick questions Did you change the ww2 prior to installing the turbo on the truck? And how did you change the wheel did you do the impact gun thing to break loose and install the ww2? Was that 38r new or used? I'm Not here to defend or promote the 38r.

Hope you have much better luck moving to the T4.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
It probably would have lived if you left it that way garrett made it, or if it were balanced when the new wheel was installed.

Reaction score
First off, what are you going to be using the truck for? That will help in deciding what turbo option is best for you.

If you are towing a lot i'd recommend a modded h2e or BASB. If you are looking more for performance I would say the 468. I love my 468 and it still tows great as well.

Last edited:

CurtisF

Reaction score
It probably would have lived if you left it that way garrett made it, or if it were balanced when the new wheel was installed.

^^^ whs

It's always been rare to see a thread where someone lost a 38r, but quite a few have popped up recently and almost all of them that have been thrashed have a WW.

I thought about putting one in mine a while back, but seeing the same kind of threads over and over again..... nope, nope, aaaaaaaaaaand nope.

IMO to the OP, I would go back to a 38r and this time leave it stock. I've had mine since 2007, currently have over 222K miles on the truck, and zero problems with the 38r.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yeeeep...the performance description alone made me think there was something wrong. Maybe improper operation and assembly after coating and modding.

Im throwing a laughable amount of fuel at mine compared to a 200/30 and sure it can be overfueled but usualky it does pretty good. In fact i did a huge burnout yesterday LOL

gnxtc2

Reaction score
You're say two different things.....you don't want to go to T4 but yet ask about T4/T4i turbos.

If you don't want to swap, you have no other choice but to put the GT38R back on.

For a daily / tow vehicle....hands down the BASB turbo. The 366 and S467 are higher rpm range turbos. Don't know much about the H2E other than it's a T4i mount. There much more turbo choices with a T4 mount.

I have no issues with my Irate T4 mount.

Once you go T4, you'll never want to go back.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Kylerf150

Reaction score
Couple quick questions Did you change the ww2 prior to installing the turbo on the truck? And how did you change the wheel did you do the impact gun thing to break loose and install the ww2? Was that 38r new or used?

Before I installed the gtp38r I changed the wheel in the vise on the work bench I broke the housings and held the turbine wheel in the vise and took off the comp wheel. And just snuged it up when I put it back together.It was a brand new turbo from riff raff.

First off, what are you going to be using the truck for?I love my 468 and it still tows great as well.

It is a daily driver/tow rig sometimes,more of a DD. I have pulled some pretty heavy loads with it though. What kind of loads do you pull with you truck. Does the turbo seem laggy at all and does it get hot?

It's always been rare to see a thread where someone lost a 38r, but quite a few have popped up recently and almost all of them that have been thrashed have a WW.

I should have just left it alone I know but it was right when the ww2 came out and that thing is just sick looking haha. I guess it also made my turbo sick :( !

Yeeeep...the performance description alone made me think there was something wrong. Maybe improper operation and assembly after coating and modding.

I'm pretty sure everything was installed correctly. Its just a turbo lol :walkin:. After thinking about it I personally think the smoke had to do with the high flow outlet (If I remember correctly 1.15) and the unique metal products filter Its huge but I think it just filters to much out. Actually now that I say that the garret intake hose is a little oval like it had been collapsing. :morons:

You're say two different things.....you don't want to go to T4 but yet ask about T4/T4i turbos.

If you don't want to swap, you have no other choice but to put the GT38R back on.

For a daily / tow vehicle....hands down the BASB turbo. The 366 and S467 are higher rpm range turbos. Don't know much about the H2E other than it's a T4i mount. There much more turbo choices with a T4 mount.

I have no issues with my Irate T4 mount.

Once you go T4, you'll never want to go back.

I do want to go to T4 mount always have. It just gives me more options down the road. Its just a shame I have to so soon LOL. The garret was more of a budget buy. The basb is a quicker spooling turbo than the 366 correct? I hate waiting for that damn turbo on my 6.7 and the gtp38r on the 7.3 wasn't bad but still seemed a little slow when I pulled those heavy loads last hay season.

Ultimately guys I won't ever get rid of this truck so I am looking for something that will support the mods I have done now and I know someday down the road this truck will strictly be for performance and not so much a work truck. I want something that will work well now but can support the truck later on in life (budget wise) when I wanna push it over 500.

Thanks for your help so far guys I really appreciate it. :blitzed:

Kylerf150

Reaction score
Yes, the BASB is quicker spooling than the 366.

I pull 21k with the BASB and love it. I have to slow down pulling hills.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Well that right there sounds just like what I am looking for. My heaviest load last year was pushing 27k and I was honestly amazed at how well it pulled once up to speed it was a little laggy. Going with the bell turbo is sounding pretty good. I just got off the phone with irate and he also recommended the basb.He Said it will have lower drive pressure as well and later down the road it will support what I want to do.

Do you have the billet wheel in your basb?

Couple more ?'s for you guys.

Do you feel ceramic coating the uppipes and turbine housing is worth the extra cost?
And is a wastegate needed with these 200/30 injectors?

Thanks again you are all a wealth of knowledge and sure do help morons like me LOL!!

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Well that right there sounds just like what I am looking for. My heaviest load last year was pushing 27k and I was honestly amazed at how well it pulled once up to speed it was a little laggy. Going with the bell turbo is sounding pretty good. I just got off the phone with irate and he also recommended the basb.He Said it will have lower drive pressure as well and later down the road it will support what I want to do.

Do you have the billet wheel in your basb?

No, the billet wheel came out about 3 months after I got my BASB :pointlaugh: I spoke with Pius and he told me I can send my turbo in to have the billet wheel installed. The wheel needs to be balanced.

Couple more ?'s for you guys.

Do you feel ceramic coating the uppipes and turbine housing is worth the extra cost?

Is it needed...No Can it hurt... No

And is a wastegate needed with these 200/30 injectors?

Can't help you on this. I have no issues with my 175/80s and BASB.

Thanks again you are all a wealth of knowledge and sure do help morons like me LOL!!

No problem

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yep, confirmed, leaving mine stock... Just like injectors, hpop, and fuel pump...

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I have the BASB with the billet wheel. I bought mine that way, so no before and after. I also had a 38r with my same mods, and the BASB is better in every way on my truck. DD and towing. It does run cooler, spools slightly faster, and definitely has more punch up top. I was skeptical when I was told how much better it was compared to the 38r. But I am a full fledge believer now.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
We have a customer running a T4 with a billet s371 with a 360* thrust and he loves it. This would be my suggestion for a 300 series charger. Or a 467 if you are ready to step up a bit.

Let us know if we can help you with T4 kit pricing or turbo options!

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Any time you swap a compressor wheel you need to have it re-balanced, you're talking over 100k RPM's. Any thing spinning that fast needs to be balanced.

Kylerf150

Reaction score
Any time you swap a compressor wheel you need to have it re-balanced, you're talking over 100k RPM's. Any thing spinning that fast needs to be balanced.

Ahh chit at those speeds it will balance itself out!!! right??

LOL JK LOL

Yeah I know I should of just left the stock wheel in and never have touch the GTP38R.:gethim: LESSON LEARNED

Anyways I am Going to go with the Bell BASB and be done with it for now. Probably order one in the next few days from Irate or one of the other venders. I think I will wait on a T4 Kit for now, maybe I can find a used one in the classifieds.

THANKS GUYS!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online