Block heater?

El chupacabra

Reaction score
At what temp. Does it become necessary to plug it in? My truck has been starting like **** and hammering like hell till it warms up.

-Jake-

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
At what temp. Does it become necessary to plug it in? My truck has been starting like **** and hammering like hell till it warms up.

-Jake-

What temps are you seeing over there? Are you sure your glow plug system is functioning correctly?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
stiction... what weight oil you using and how many miles on injectors?

Zmann

Reaction score
I would plug in at 28 for sure .. but stiction will enhance any cold start issues

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Wait Idk what weight oil I got I'll have to look tomorrow I get it inn sale an stock up the shelves in the garage lol

-Jake-

Zmann

Reaction score
Jake it's a 6.0

you need to now what you feed it

they are oil sensitive

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
i dont think block heater helps much with stiction... but that is what your most likely fighting, if not a FICM issue.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Does it crank for a while before it actually fires or just fire right up but run rough?

Cranks for a while and cranks slow and then the batteries are too weak to try to crank a second time then I have to hook up my charger and jump it then it fires right up but runs rough till it warms up. It only happens in the morning I drive to work work 10-12 hours and starts fine at work??? last time I had this problem one of the batteries was shot,but I replaced both of them like 2 years ago. I'm going to load test them tomorrow they are still under warranty I think

-Jake-

Atsah

Reaction score
Cranks for a while and cranks slow and then the batteries are too weak to try to crank a second time then I have to hook up my charger and jump it then it fires right up but runs rough till it warms up. It only happens in the morning I drive to work work 10-12 hours and starts fine at work??? last time I had this problem one of the batteries was shot,but I replaced both of them like 2 years ago. I'm going to load test them tomorrow they are still under warranty I think

-Jake-

Fix your battery issue first.. Your FICM might not be getting the constant voltage it needs while cranking.. Could be injector sticktion or as said, an FICM issue.. 15W40 is no good in a 6.0 in cold weather.. Block heater plugged in for couple of hours will definitely help with a sticktion issue and heavy weight oil.. I would suggest putiing a 5W40 in it for winter or year round for that matter..

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score

-Jake-

Okay. Make sure you get both of your batteries load tested individually while they are not connected to each other.

Next, monitor FICM voltage if you have a way to do so. If it is not reading 48v you may have found your problem.

As stated above, try changing your oil to a 5w-40 during the colder months. Thick oil is really noticeable in a cold 6.0

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
i dont think block heater helps much with stiction... but that is what your most likely fighting, if not a FICM issue.

Stiction is aided by block heater. I have a truck in service that will not start due to stiction unless it is plugged in.

At 28 I would plug my **** in.

Zmann

Reaction score
My old stiction issue was undetectable if I plugged in

definitely get those batteries out of there ,, your going to do some damage with wealk batteries

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.