Block Modifications?

Viking

Reaction score
Has there been blown motors with girdles due to not enough reinforcement? I'd assume at some point the bolts will hold all the forc in concentrated ares instead of dispersing it throughout the block.

I have been wondering if there were a way to weld something the the bottom of the block instead of bolt to increase the strength on the whole block itself.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Has there been blown motors with girdles due to not enough reinforcement? I'd assume at some point the bolts will hold all the forc in concentrated ares instead of dispersing it throughout the block.

I have been wondering if there were a way to weld something the the bottom of the block instead of bolt to increase the strength on the whole block itself.

There is fretting occurring on the mains even with a girdle - it occurs less with some block filler.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
310221_10150311976717400_332685942399_8246431_664491343_n.jpg

Viking

Reaction score
I had a conversation with Lott about this, and I believe he has a solution for that. You might want to call and ask him about his girdle. He doesn't advertise it, but it's a nice piece.

So all is well? I must call and chat then, I don't want to do any filler in my block.

Big Bore

Reaction score
So all is well? I must call and chat then, I don't want to do any filler in my block.

I can't say it eliminates the need for filler, nor would I think it does really, however it addresses the mains walking better than the other girdles IMO without the cost of having to go to a full bedplate.

JDub

Reaction score
We prefer to do all the cryogenics work before any other work is done, hence our name 'CryoFirst'.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
my block filler has cracks in it, is that normal? you can def get fretting w/ a girdle and block filler, mines doing it pretty good.

TARM

Reaction score
I need to look up the name on the filler I was specifically reccomended - but I was told that its expansion rate was nearly identical to that of cast iron - since I trusted the source I never bothered to confirm.

I have mixed experiences with sleeving engines - I can't say that I would go out and sleeve a perfectly good block with the intentions that it will be stronger - but I am also not opposed to the process for bore repair as well as taking care of any coolant cavitation that might have taken place.

Thanks.

If you are willing can you post the name of the polymer filler or send it to me in a PM I would greatly appreciate it.

I am back forth on the sleeving, wish the info could be more definitive. My thought to the positive is it would prevent undetected pin holing from wasting the build on a block.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Just fill it!!

With my block filled to ~1.75 from the deck I can barely get my oil temps over 200 when towing heavy (14k), and normal driving stays around 185ish.....and that's using the 203 T-stat.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Just fill it!!

With my block filled to ~1.75 from the deck I can barely get my oil temps over 200 when towing heavy (14k), and normal driving stays around 185ish.....and that's using the 203 T-stat.

With Hardbloc? How hard is it to fill? Machine shop has to do it?

907DAVE

Reaction score
With Hardbloc? How hard is it to fill? Machine shop has to do it?

I used the Moroso brand block filler. Not hard to fill, just be sure to have a helper when doing it, you need to move at a steady pace before it starts to set. After I smoked a piston (20k later) the filler still looked the same as when I filled it, no cracks, chips, etc. Also, there was no flaking....... the oil cooler was spotless.

Latest posts

Members online