Block prep price?

2002FordPwr

Reaction score
Getting ready to start putting some parts together for my first build. I have a block and heads i pulled from a donor truck that I need to get cleaned and decked.
Whats the average price to have a block and heads fully prepped? I live about 45 min from Hypermax. I was thinking or taking it there?

Any ballpark figures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
It cost me $3,850.

Holy ***. What did you have done.

I had the block hot tanked, Line bore checked, new cam bearings installed, bored .020" over, and decked
700ish

Had the heads cleaned and put back together with 910s and .045" shims
700ish

My dads had a bunch of work done through both the machine shop who did the block and his guy who did the heads. Maybe it helped.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Getting ready to start putting some parts together for my first build. I have a block and heads i pulled from a donor truck that I need to get cleaned and decked.
Whats the average price to have a block and heads fully prepped? I live about 45 min from Hypermax. I was thinking or taking it there?

Any ballpark figures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Can you elaborate on what is meant by "fully prepped"? A stock power level street engine is different prep than a hot street engine which is different prep than a full competition build. The price also has to take into account the amount of issues with the starting parts - this is especially true of the heads - if you need to replace every valve, cut new seats, install and ream all new guides, etc... its substantially more than if the starting heads just need a light cut to flatten them out and fresh cut on the valves and seats.

Perhaps some goals for the build to help give you an indication of what you need to do as far as prep work would help. Is this just to freshen up a tired truck or is there more intended?

Latest posts

Members online