Blowby maybe an issue

Baker42

Reaction score
I decided to do the blowby test by starting my truck and checking for smoke with the oil fill cap removed and to my surprise I had smoke at a steedy stream and seemed to increase the longer it idled. Could it be the valves ( best case senario) or am I looking at a larger issue. Any EXPIERIENCED info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks PSA

ghohouston

Reaction score
If you flip the cap upside down and set it on the fill tube, will it blow it off or just kind of shake there? My 7.3 had quite a bit of visible blowby at idle, especially when it was warm outside, even though it compression tested well through all cylinders, although I never actually measured blowby with a gauge. It ran just fine.

Heres a video I took of it last summer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN65PhwFt1k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Baker42

Reaction score
Thanks for respond I will try that tommorow. Truck runs strong and does not burn any oil. Just never thought to check till a friend suggested it. Now a little worried. Maybe a worn seat on the valves is all I could think. Thanks

Baker42

Reaction score
Dont see how it could be rings. Used to be a mechanic in another life,but what does a plummer know.

Latest posts

Members online