Blown Intercooler boot. Lots of oil

nbh1226

Reaction score
My cold side boot blew off last night. After getting the charger tube off I discovered lots of oil. My solution is to get the aftermarket kit since this one seems to be broke on the plastic.

Is the excess oil a concern?

8ae5f6392f0c6f49451086bf5a03b0aa.jpg

8813a4c560442f3339297376b4633c1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsmracing1

Reaction score
The excess oil is normal but not good. Should get a CCV re-route kit with that new H&S intercooler pipe upgrade. No Limit Fabrication Mike (BigRPowr) on this forum can hook you up with a package deal....

Fosterchild23

Reaction score
Vancouver Island B.C. / Grande Prairie, Alberta
Elite diesel engineering sells ccv kits as well. The oil in the air intake system is not a big deal from what I've been told. On my old 6.4L I blew mine off too and found oil everywhere. Apparently due to the piston rings passing compression into the crank case, hence the need for the vent.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Elite diesel engineering sells ccv kits as well. The oil in the air intake system is not a big deal from what I've been told. On my old 6.4L I blew mine off too and found oil everywhere. Apparently due to the piston rings passing compression into the crank case, hence the need for the vent.

The 6.7 has a lot more crank pressure though than a 6.4 so it tends to build up more in the intake system, which over time is bad.... I ******d mine with 3000 miles on it and it was already building up a lot more than I expected.

Reaction score
Get the intercooler pipe upgrade and a CCV kit and don't look back. The oil in the intake is normal but can be avoided with a CCV reroute.

nbh1226

Reaction score
Get the intercooler pipe upgrade and a CCV kit and don't look back. The oil in the intake is normal but can be avoided with a CCV reroute.

I have a intercooler pipe kit OTW from you guys right now.

When I take the air intake valve off I'm going to clean up everything real nice and put the new replacement intake body on.

I'll get the reroute kit a little down the road. I'm sure this intake hasn't been opened up for the life of the truck (158,000 miles).

So this oil isn't coming from the turbo?

nbh1226

Reaction score
A little update. So after installing the H&S boot kit I thought everything was fine. Well I was switching lanes and dropped down a few MPHS switch lanes. Hit is pretty solid. And the boot blew off. Pulled over. The t clamp had slid down and spun hitting the underside of my hood. This cause the paint under the clear coat to crack (wonderful). I fixed it and went onto work. Either I'm pushing way more boost than need be or I just really need a CCV reroute. Here are some pictures of the H&S parts after about a week and a half after install. The oil blew out of the boot when it flew off again.
61c9709f52379fe5d270c62d2526df09.jpg
4afb795cc583aca30a7341978c5be034.jpg
8846c53e8e08f6f7fafdd68ff7e9b18d.jpg
58d4b1af50b81e980681cd6da478ce3d.jpg

Reaction score
I'm positive you're not pushing any more boost than what some guys are doing. Those boots and clamps should easily hold 80 psi.

How tight are you installing the clamps?

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I was gonna say, there's no way that's coming off with the boost you're pushing. Dry off the boot and pipe and tighten that clamp down a lil snugger than you had it. Sucks the clamp dinged up your paint.

Keith

nbh1226

Reaction score
I'm positive you're not pushing any more boost than what some guys are doing. Those boots and clamps should easily hold 80 psi.

How tight are you installing the clamps?

Well I cleaned them and tightened them wayyyyy down.

I will stop worrying the way your guys are talking.

Side note that is some gross amounts of oil even if it is normal. Got to get rid of it.

Thanks guys especially Dallas for responding to my concerns.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think you're good to go. Just make sure that the clamp isn't so tight that it's cutting the boot.

Keep us informed on how it's holding.