Blue Smoke and Oil Consumption

Reaction score
No my fpr is set at 63 psi right now which should be too much. I am taking the truck back in to have the orings replaced tomorrow. Hopefully that's my problem because if it's not then I have to pay him for labor and orings. We shall see though. So also I forgot to mention that when I did efuel that I rent have the key on power hooked up right so basically for a while I was running the truck with little fuel pressure. But I fixed it. Could that have done something to the orings??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
doubt it hurt the orings but i was told that once fuel pressure droos below 17psi that it will allow the plunger to bottom out and zcore the barrels in the injectors...

live life full throttle

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Before you go thru the hassle of the o-rings and cost, have you checked the resistance readings between the engine harness and uvch?
With intermittant codes as you stated, I would check i using a good 0-200 scale ohm meter.
Pretty quick to check. Test resistances cold then start it, let it warm up then test immediately. Readings should all be identical, if not figure out why.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Before you go thru the hassle of the o-rings and cost, have you checked the resistance readings between the engine harness and uvch?
With intermittant codes as you stated, I would check i using a good 0-200 scale ohm meter.
Pretty quick to check. Test resistances cold then start it, let it warm up then test immediately. Readings should all be identical, if not figure out why.

Just wondering, how that would contribute to his oil usage issue?

Big Bore

Reaction score
Also o-rings would easily explain the intermittent numbers. Depending whether the engine had just been running or is cold would affect if the injectors are holding good ICP or not. I have not seen any mention of checking for codes but I would be surprised if he doesn't have low ICP codes. He has a T500 so once running that pump is probably masking the loss.

Big Bore

Reaction score
OP, you mentioned you checked ICP and DC, could you post those numbers and also any codes you found? I'm not super familiar with where DC should be but I know others are. Your DC with the T500 is prob different than a stock pump so that should be taken in to account.

mandkole

Reaction score
Pressurizing the rails would make sense before pulling it down. Hot and cold start issues do seem to point to ICP, but if the shop has the tools, its quick.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Going off of what was stated with contribution failures from different cyls. An intermittant electrical issue, ie uvch, would do just that. O-rings wouldn't be intermittant imo.
Had very similar issue. Blowby increased exponentially. No codes and got it to fail #2 on a cyl contribution test.
Tested engine harness to uvch's for resistance readings. Everything read 3.2-3.5 except for #4. It read 8.5 I believe. Changed out driver's uvch. All injectors tested 3.0. With new uvch got 3.0 from all 4. Retested. Thought all was good cold. Worse readings were only 3.2.
Started it and was letting it warm up and it would intermittantly miss while holding it at about 1800rpm.
Shut it down and immediately retested my harness. Driver's side was still at 3.0, all 4 BUT the passenger side read 6.5 each. Grabbed my son cause I thought I was losing it and low and behold the passenger side now read 3.2 each. Installed new uvch on that side, all inj's tested 3.0.
With new uvch's, both sides read 3.0, the same as testing at the inj's.
At 30* the truck ran better starting than being plugged in or oa temp at 75*. Smoked less cold than it did warmed up.Cured my blowby issue that looked like a fog machine.
It is really simple to pull the engine harness connector and test with an ohm meter but use a really good meter that has a 0-200 scale and test your leads for a base reading.

Reaction score
Icp on startup is 30% and 600-700 psi. And then on Wot it was 43% and about 3000 psi. It threw the cylinder fault on number 7. And then the next day it threw number 3&5 were a fault. So if my buzz test came out fine then that would mean that my harness is good right?? There is no burnt connections and what not.

mandkole

Reaction score
Icp on startup is 30% and 600-700 psi. And then on Wot it was 43% and about 3000 psi. It threw the cylinder fault on number 7. And then the next day it threw number 3&5 were a fault. So if my buzz test came out fine then that would mean that my harness is good right?? There is no burnt connections and what not.

30% after start? Pressure loss seems very possible.

Reaction score
Ya it kind of bounced around. The icp did. And ya im losing oil so I don't think that the connectors are my problem. Before I did electric fuel my truck started no problem cold and hot. With no smoke whatsoever!! But now it has hard time starting and smokes really bad. And I have been burning oil. So not sure if uvchs could be the problem.

Reaction score
So that would mean I could have a problem there. I think 30% was cranking. I don't think it was that high when warm idling. I will get another reading tomorrow to find out.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Yes Big Bore, my truck started using oil although not that much. I check it regularly not using more than about 1/2 qt every 4k-5k but when this happened it used about a qt in 1200 or so if i remember correctly.
I tested everything thinking that I had compression issues, bad o-rings, bad injectors, bad throttle pedal, IPR, you name it.
Read and read and read.
Diagnostics in the automotive and HVAC fields has been my life.
The telltale sign was the same as you have reported.
Intermittent cyl contribution test. Buzz test sounded fine every time.
It may very well be o-rings as everyone has said but the electrical testing is very simple to check and just because the uvch's are new doesn't mean a thing.
All of us at one time or another have bought something new just to find out that the assembly must have been produced on a Monday(they were hung-over) or on a Friday when they were thinking about tying one on.

Reaction score
Awesome!! If the orings aren't bad then I have a valve cover harness too put on it if it checks bad!!

Reaction score
Orings still look brand new!! He is putting new ones back on it then is throwing a new uvch harness on it to see if that fixes things. This morning he ran a cylinder contribution test and it said that #1,4,6 are bad now. Super weird. Thinking that electrical is my problem right now.

Reaction score
Me neither. Well the harness was fine. So that's not the problem. Thought maybe the cps but that was fine. So just for kicks and giggles I swapped the #7 injector for #5 and now the test says that 5 is bad. Thinking I have a bad injector. What do you guys think??

Latest posts

Members online