Blue smoke on cold start...

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
bringing the thread back up.
I have a 2001 dually, just has chip intake exhaust adrenaline. the truck is approaching 280k miles and the turbo is worn out and needs to be rebuilt. the truck is starting to smoke white when you let off the throttle and let the trucks rpms drop. could the smoke be coming from the turbo, because it is worn out and the seals are allowing the oil to make its way into the exhaust and be the cause of the smoke. any info would be appreciated

Reaction score
bringing the thread back up.
I have a 2001 dually, just has chip intake exhaust adrenaline. the truck is approaching 280k miles and the turbo is worn out and needs to be rebuilt. the truck is starting to smoke white when you let off the throttle and let the trucks rpms drop. could the smoke be coming from the turbo, because it is worn out and the seals are allowing the oil to make its way into the exhaust and be the cause of the smoke. any info would be appreciated

Yup.. Same exact thing happened to me when my D66 was going out. Every time I let off a hard acceleration it would smoke white.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
12 degrees this morning, truck hadn't been driven since Friday evening...

Attachments

• coldstart.jpg
    coldstart.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 93

dsberman94

Reaction score
Mine smokes white on a cold start, but damn it's not that bad. Even without working glow plugs is wasn't that bad.

firehunter

Reaction score
Yep, that's exactly what mine looks like just out of one exhaust pipe. At least until the oil temp comes up. I switched to Rotella 10-30 and got easier starts, same smoke but goes away faster. Haven't had much time to do more diagnostics, been working on my classic Buick over the winter. :)

pullandpray

Reaction score
Living up in montana I switched to Rotella 5w-40 and it cut my smoke down alot. Even with the big sticks and not being plugged in it will just lightly haze.

sootie

Reaction score
my six for looks like that when it start in negative temps.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I guess my pickup didn't appreciate me showing off her smoking habit. She thanked me by not wanting to start when I got off work last night. Cranked over fine and had white smoke out the exhaust so I knew it was getting fuel, figured maybe the glow plug relay gave up on me so I tried to jump the relay with a wrench. Turns out I was right, as soon as I tried to connect the switched side of the relay to the hot side the hot side terminal broke right off with barely any pressure on it. I got to do the walk of shame to Napa and fork over way too much money for a damn GPR.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mine doesnt smoke thaaaat bad. Never has. That is bad. Mine smells like diesel and makes your eyes water though.

Latest posts

Members online