Blueish smoke at idle and strong fuel smell after injector install

jtgf250

Reaction score
Alright guys, having a little trouble. Wanted some opinions before pulling stuff apart again. Running a 467.7 and just installed 250/200 injectros. ******** tunes. Truck flat out gets. But at idle its smoking blueish and the smell of fuel will burn your nose. Got a code for injector 8. Wondering if I may have cut an o-ring on install. I've ran the truck for about 1000 miles now and not getting any better. After I first installed them I left the truck in my highest tune after driving, truck sat a day or two. When to start and wouldn't turn over. Turned the crank maybe 90* and tried tried again and she fired right up. this happened twice. I've been leaving it in a lower tune and no issues starting. On occasion though when starting it will romp a few times and them settle down. The haze clears up after driving and its warmed up but you still have that fuel smell. Getting the contribution code for #8 injector on AE and IDS. Thanks for any input.

jbolen323

Reaction score
my truck is like that all the time, i even get 2 codes on contribution test but dyno put me knocking at 600 which where a 250/200 w 468 should be. i hope you studded and did the top end on the pmr motor.

i haze all the time from almost every tuner i tried, i think its just the 200% trait, comes and goes on days honestly no reason why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blrOz_emig0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BapHXDy4ayM

in the second video you can see the hazing im talking about right in the start, thats with my GH custom tune. Maybe matt will chime in or someone, not a big deal to me but i do have a shakey idle that comes & goes.

Last edited:

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Same problem here with my new engine. Not running anything close to what you are pretty stock but does romp every now and again and does burn your nose pretty well.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
I have obs single shot injectors and a dp 80hp dd tune. I was told to run a compression check because I may have a dead cylinder. Haven't done it yet. Also told that it could be ebpv.... have had no time to check anything.
Good luck I'll chime in if I get the chance to check anything..

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

bruce

Reaction score
my truck is like that all the time, i even get 2 codes on contribution test but dyno put me knocking at 600 which where a 250/200 w 468 should be. i hope you studded and did the top end on the pmr motor.

i haze all the time from almost every tuner i tried, i think its just the 200% trait, comes and goes on days honestly no reason why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blrOz_emig0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BapHXDy4ayM

in the second video you can see the hazing im talking about right in the start, thats with my GH custom tune. Maybe matt will chime in or someone, not a big deal to me but i do have a shakey idle that comes & goes.

why would you stud a pmr engine? it's gonna toss a rod long before it lifts a head?

jtgf250

Reaction score
why would you stud a pmr engine? it's gonna toss a rod long before it lifts a head?

That's why I didn't bother with studs. Have two other blocks ready to build.

I did notice when I had the valve cover off last when looking into it, the oil was coming out the spouts but not squirting out like usual. Maybe I use don't have enough hpop for the larger sticks.

Buddy did the same build as me at the same time but did drop in a gen3 and has no issue like this. Just looking for tips in the right direction.

78f100

Reaction score
If you had to turn the crank past a hard spot for the starter to be able to crank the motor over its hydro locking. Like a injector is leaking fuel all the time, this may be where the smoke is coming from. I would hate for you to bend a rod or ruin a block because of a injector. Something is for sure not right if you had to turn the engine by hand. I have a 6.0 with a ruined block at the shop right now from this, the customer kept driving it with it smoking because he said it ran fine. Then last week it started skipping, so he brought it to me. When I got the head off cyl 7 piston was melted and the block looks like someone cut a groove in the cyl wall with a plasma cutter.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
Kinda wonder if an injector came loose and it's leaking fuel right into the cyclinder. That will hydro lock one pretty quick and have a fuel smell that'll burn the eyes lol

jtgf250

Reaction score
That is the main issue is that I had to turn it over by hand. Both times was after running the truck in the all out tune and then the truck sat a few days. I can understand it may haze at idle with the larger injectors but the constant fuel smell that's so bad and smoke on start up is what bothers me. Probably gonna pull #8 since that's the one that popped up both times and swap orings and see what happens next.

jtgf250

Reaction score
Cups are original. Truck has 133k on it. Talked to injector builder the other day and we think it's a tuning issue. He felt my icp should be a little higher. I went ahead a pulled #8 since it was the only one throwing a code and replaced the orings even though we all know how #8 likes to throw codes. Orings looked fine. Put a temp gun on the manifolds tonight after driving to work and all cylinders were pretty close in temp. Injector builder suggested to try that as well to make sure one wasn't dumping fuel from a copper washer not being seated all the way. Still waiting to get a response from tuner. Will call again this week.

mandkole

Reaction score
Yeah, if the idle is smooth and the injs are balanced well, it needs tune adjustments to fit your truck. Mines had cold haze forever and I recently noticed that the oil temp sensor reading is always at 70F-- since there are lots of adjustments requested as it gets colder, that is getting replaced soon and crossing the fingers that it may help.

Swaan

Reaction score
Good luck . I've done all that crap. Tuning adjustments coming out the yingyang. New oil temp sensor.blah blah blah . Never did get it sorted out. I just live with the cold haze .

Chatham036

Reaction score
I do want to throw out there that it is not uncommon for a cyl 8 code after an injector install due to the "Long Lead" injector update that ford did back in the day. If you look at the top of the injector head on a factor engine, the #8 cyl will have a staggered LL symbol to identify.

But I agree that it sounds like a tuning issue. They should be able to raise the SOI offset table at the bottom end to eliminate that issue.

jtgf250

Reaction score
Jay I have to agree as well. I am know about all the stuff with the #8 injector but figured ild give it a shot. It cleared up some but now I have bigger problems. #7 &#8 rod decided they didn't want to stay in the block anymore. Looks like it's build time.

Latest posts

Members online