Boost Foolers

mandkole

Reaction score
One of these just magically fixed another running issue. What is the deal here? The boost fooler is one of those things that I have never needed, yet other trucks wont get out of their way without one...why is that? My obs didnt need one and the SD with all of its mods (hits 50 psi), doesnt need one either.. Is it a PCM/ tuning deal or is it covering up a component problem that my rigs dont have?

A good answer pleeze...

David N

Reaction score
I'd like to know too. I just took one off of my truck. Literally 3 days before it blew up. LOL

But I was told by Matt that it wasn't doing anything, and to take it off. So I did.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
It really doesn't unless you remove the red vacuum line on your turbo. And it can be plugged because it makes a good boost guage line.
If it does anything on running a running engine, it doesn't allow a defuel from the computer after 22psi.
If it is tuned it won't see the extra air and may cause a lean run because more boost = more fuel is put in.
If it solves an issue for a good UNTUNED motor, then its masking an over boost/ sensor issue. You need to find out what that issue is.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Which is why of it is untuned it does something. Not a lot. Only on the top end.
On a motor with 250/100s/gt4294 it wouldn't do anything because that wouldn't be part of the tuning

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Which is why of it is untuned it does something. Not a lot. Only on the top end.
On a motor with 250/100s/gt4294 it wouldn't do anything because that wouldn't be part of the tuning

Untuned trucks Defueling? I think not. Maybe if it has stock splits with nozzles.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Completely stock 7.3 will defuel at 22 psi. Boost fooler and unplug little red line, bam 28psi...
And yes I am talking completely stock. AE injectors.

mandkole

Reaction score
I understand the reason for fooling stock trucks, but recent examples are about fairly modded engines. I was surprised to see (and I think others were as well, or it would have already been done) a fooler fix a top end issue on a modded truck. It would seem that this should have been addressed with tuning.

Tom S

Reaction score
Completely stock 7.3 will defuel at 22 psi. Boost fooler and unplug little red line, bam 28psi...
And yes I am talking completely stock. AE injectors.

Are you sure it is not really the red line?

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
It may be. Did both at the same time...
:embarrassed:
If its the red line all the fooler is for is to remove the cel/ses light when going over 22 psi. So then it really does NOTHING except kill the code. Which tuning should do, if of course I am not wrong, again...lol

Swaan

Reaction score
It seems to be more of a problem with the 97 year obs mostly. Mine was good till 35 psi. But if you went over that it would be like someone shut the key off and back on again for a second. It's cutting out because of over boost.

A fooler fixed this. And I'm running gearheads tunes and power hungry performance. They both did it till I installed a fooler. Matt will tell you it's really quite common.

Arisley

Reaction score
Mo boost fooler here. I can get really close to pegging my 60LB. boost gauge, not even a sign of a defuel. However, when I hit about 23 lbs. or so, my CEL pops on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.