Boost leak?

6fodays

Reaction score
Have a loud air like noise coming from somewhere after about 10 pounds of boost. I never drop boost psi. It just sounds like the loud hair dryer noise, except all the time. Any way to check for boost leak besides a pressure tester?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exbomber

Reaction score
Look and feel around while somebody revs it up. Probably blew the crappy crimped on plastic end tank off the intercooler if your hoses are all good

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Exaust leak or cac boot. 6.4 intercoolers dontbtend to blow up pike the 6.0s do. Check both manifolds for broken bolts or soot, as well as all the up pipes, pay close attention to the flex pipe in the up pipes, they tend to break there. As far as cac boots, most likely the hot side on the bottom of the intercooler, but any of them could be...

6fodays

Reaction score
Exaust leak or cac boot. 6.4 intercoolers dontbtend to blow up pike the 6.0s do. Check both manifolds for broken bolts or soot, as well as all the up pipes, pay close attention to the flex pipe in the up pipes, they tend to break there. As far as cac boots, most likely the hot side on the bottom of the intercooler, but any of them could be...

Thats gonna be a sob trying to find one in the up pipes

6fodays

Reaction score
I looked for soot on the firewall best i could really quick this morning, found no soot on the upper half. Im doing by brakes this weekend so while i have the wheels off ill pull the inner fender liner and get a better look. Could it be possible that the leak is coming from the egr ****** blockoff plate? I ******d my egr recently and maybe it didnt get tightened enough or something?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Its possible. Did you check the cac boots too? Ive seen them torn in half and still bosting 30+ psi.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Boost leak tester is easy to make and only a few bucks. Rubber drain plug, clamp, and a Bolton type of valve stem. Poke hole in plug, tighten valve stem on. Clamp plug to front of atmo turbo and air it up. Leaks should be really obvious.

6fodays

Reaction score
Boost leak tester is easy to make and only a few bucks. Rubber drain plug, clamp, and a Bolton type of valve stem. Poke hole in plug, tighten valve stem on. Clamp plug to front of atmo turbo and air it up. Leaks should be really obvious.

Do you know off the top of your head what the inlet size of the turbo is? 4"?

Rubenk

Reaction score
That's on my 75 though and is a bit of a squeeze into the turbo. Perfect fit for pressure testing.

6fodays

Reaction score
The more i drive it the more it sounds like my turbo is whining. Sounds squeely on spool up

6fodays

Reaction score
Think i found my problem. Found oil around bottom intercooler boot. So i squeezed down on it and it started changing different pitches of air. Also found what feels like a rip

6fodays

Reaction score
b57465ea63ee979928d4354548fbd11a.jpg

Oh yea shes fresh

6fodays

Reaction score
Whats the best after market inter cooler boots for the price?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Diesel site or riffraff. We used diesel site boots on a 6.4 and we ended up having to double clamp them since they didn't have the ribs on the end like the factory boots.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Diesel site holding up great for me. I got a longer boot for the top EGR elbow too, its a pain in the ass to get on, but much more room to get it clamped right.

Latest posts

Members online