Bored. Want to make a pre-trip list

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Plan to put several thousand miles on my truck this summer. For reference I've had the truck for a little over 4 years. I've never even had the valve covers off, never had a no start, never had to change fuel pump, just a turbo and that's about it...

I know what I should be changing, fuel injector seals, IPR, etc.. But I wanted an opinion of what to do at this mileage, 187k.

I know plenty of you rack miles up on engines with twice this mileage, what do you keep for spares in the truck?

Arisley

Reaction score
Yep, I have my Aeroforce Scanguage also. It doesn't replace AE, but it has sure come in handy a few times.

Most important thing to carry is a cell phone with internet access.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Also have never done water pump. What brand is best?

bruce

Reaction score
If it aint giving you any problems why would you mess with it? If the weep hole on the water pump starts dripping, replace it. All the brands seeem to be junk so pick a parts store or holler at riffraff. You're a technician, you know what the symptoms are for injectors being shot. Throw a cps in the backseat, get a bluetooth obd2 reader and the torque app, air the tires up to whatever you like, make sure the dipsticks are wet and roll out.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I know man, I've been doing this for years, and with that I have seen anything and everything roll through here and would just like to be prepped for the worst situations.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I know people that bring a parts store with them- I'm more of a minimalist and don't think it's necessary unless you're going to be really remote. I have over twice your mileage and don't think twice about hopping in and going on 1000 mile+ trip.

I have a spare CPS in the center console, some extra fuses in the glove box (leftover from an issue a couple years ago- before that I'd just switch some fuses around if need be), and bring AE along with the laptop. There are a few basic tools and some extra oil in the back. Check the truck, fluids, and air pressure and good to go.

The only other thing is if I'm going to be making a long stretch of driving in a day, I don't shut it off unless I have to. Let it run while I'm pumping fuel, etc. I was given that advice once- since you know it's running, you're good to go (at least in theory). If you turn it off, there is a greater chance that something can happen and it won't restart which doesn't help you get where you need to be. Maybe a little superstitious, but when you've got let's say 800 miles to cover in a day, I figure why chance it? LOL

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yea even around town I just hit the remote start and let her idle when going into a store or getting fuel.

I definitely do want to reseal injectors though, I would hate to have an internal issue. At least that will be the most in depth thing I'll do. This way I can change the glow plugs out with the new ones I've had in the door panel for 3 years now. And I can also see what kind of injectors I even have. While there I'll do harnesses and gaskets... I really do want to get an IPR change also. CPS I changed that first day I bought it and I have about 4 known good ones in door panel. Maybe I'll just anti seize the bolt, it's been awhile since I've had it out. Hate to wrestle that guy out on side of the road when engines hot as can be.

Coolant is good, I just have a small leak at my billet housing, I want hoses though, but maybe I'll skip on a waterpump

cbf9703

Reaction score
Yea even around town I just hit the remote start and let her idle when going into a store or getting fuel.

I definitely do want to reseal injectors though, I would hate to have an internal issue. At least that will be the most in depth thing I'll do. This way I can change the glow plugs out with the new ones I've had in the door panel for 3 years now. And I can also see what kind of injectors I even have. While there I'll do harnesses and gaskets... I really do want to get an IPR change also. CPS I changed that first day I bought it and I have about 4 known good ones in door panel. Maybe I'll just anti seize the bolt, it's been awhile since I've had it out. Hate to wrestle that guy out on side of the road when engines hot as can be.

Coolant is good, I just have a small leak at my billet housing, I want hoses though, but maybe I'll skip on a waterpump

What kind of injectors you have.... LOL IDK why that's funny to me. Mine came with questionable injectors, so that was one of the first things. I had some IPR issues a few years back and used to keep a spare for long trips, but ended up using it on a friend's truck on the way to an off road park and haven't bothered to replace it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have never ever had a romping start. In the negatives it starts perfect and never ever misfires. I sware I could remove them, box em up and sell them as new to a customer that's how good I feel about them. But I have no clue what they are... Lol

n54power

Reaction score
I picked up a coup of the heavy canvas bags from sears. I keep 3-4 extra cps,extra ipr,fuses,bulbs ect.
One thing I've started carrying is 3-4 barbed fittings,hose clamps and hose of different sizes. Seems like overkill but trust me totally worth it. Last November I was in Montana on a elk hunt. We were in my dad's 2010 cummins but I had thrown mu truck bag on for good measure.
We had the truck chained and in 4lo on a icey road. We skidded on a sharp downhill turn. We snagged his brake line and put a hole on it. I was able to cut and clamp in the barbed fitting. It got us off the mountain. And since it was already -20 and dropping,well it was a worth while part.

Road flares,wire,extra batterys,flashlights,gorilla tape.

On a long drive or lots of drive,especially with family you can never have to much gear.
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I keep parts in the dr side of my weatherguard. Other than an impact I could disassemble the truck with the tools in the weatherguard.

My water pump crapped out at 230k. I also leave the motor running on trips.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
So I finally decided to do some work. I pulled my injectors that either have 95k+ or 220k miles. The seals looked amazing and I also only had one bad glow plug. I did notice all my injectors in between the fuel bore, the entire body was black. But not carbon, just stained black. I was wondering maybe if at one time someone lost a copper and compression worked it's way back through the system, but like I said all the injectors had it.

I also doubled up on the metals and set them 180 off. First time I had ever done this and **** man, they were hard as hell to pop back in...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
bBCEsWr.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Have done nothing since this. Haven't needed to. Damn things runs great besides what I think is a Trans slip under heavy load in a performance tune...

TyCorr

Reaction score
As long as you dont mod it you'll have no issues.

Mine was great until 225k. My trans cooler line dripped a bit at that point. Fixed that. Put 175/80s in it and turbo, fuel system, and hpop. Within a year everything was leaking. Bad.

Stock truck with gauges, tuning, and a turbo will go 250k miles. Trans will get tired after that. But be prepared for a whole bunch of shti to go wrong when it starts to.

cbf9703

Reaction score
As long as you dont mod it you'll have no issues.

Mine was great until 225k. My trans cooler line dripped a bit at that point. Fixed that. Put 175/80s in it and turbo, fuel system, and hpop. Within a year everything was leaking. Bad.

Stock truck with gauges, tuning, and a turbo will go 250k miles. Trans will get tired after that. But be prepared for a whole bunch of shti to go wrong when it starts to.

Meh, 175/146 injectors and you can still be reliable with tunes and a turbo- you don't have to stay stock injectors.

My 275k stock trans wasn't real happy after injectors, tunes, and WW. Replaced it and still going strong- no leaks or issues at almost 430k at this point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Meh, 175/146 injectors and you can still be reliable with tunes and a turbo- you don't have to stay stock injectors.

My 275k stock trans wasn't real happy after injectors, tunes, and WW. Replaced it and still going strong- no leaks or issues at almost 430k at this point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thats as close to stock as you can get lol

Injectors arent usually an issue but if you get some that are large enough you need a bunch of fuel mods and oil mods. Thats where trouble seems to arise for most. Myself included have had issues with aftermarket hpops. Nothing worse than hpo issues when you're trying to use one of these turds. It'll either die or it wont start. Lol

I have a sub 1k mile srp 1.1 in my 00 and its already starting to give me hot start issues....ive been around 20 of those pumps and the inside baseball is always the same.

Latest posts

Members online