BOV Placement

pog

Reaction score
they say hot side closer to turbos is better. but cold side works too.

alradco

Reaction score
Subscribing out of curiosity. I thought it's rare to see a BOV on a diesel?

madman1234509

Reaction score
Id prefer the cold side. Although it is farther away, youd think it would be better for whatever seals and components that are in the bov to have cooler air going through it

Beans71086

Reaction score
they say hot side closer to turbos is better. but cold side works too.

While I understand this thought, wouldn't the build up of pressure start at the engine? I dunno how quickly valves react, but wouldn't releiving before it got to the turbos be better?

Subscribing out of curiosity. I thought it's rare to see a BOV on a diesel?

I dunno much about the import world, but I'm told there used a lot there. As far as the 6.4 diesel world, the bigger "stock appearing" turbos (71 72 76) don't like to be barked. I have a 72 on the way and I'm hoping for it to have a long, import smashing, life. Lol

Id prefer the cold side. Although it is farther away, youd think it would be better for whatever seals and components that are in the bov to have cooler air going through it

Didn't really give that a thought, another plus for the cold side for sure.

Highroller54

Reaction score
The whole idea of a bov is to eliminate compressor surge, so closest to the compressor for the fastest relief of pressure in that area is always best.

Beans71086

Reaction score
The whole idea of a bov is to eliminate compressor surge, so closest to the compressor for the fastest relief of pressure in that area is always best.

Yes, I understand the concept, but the surge starts at the engine. My thought is that by putting it closer to the engine you eliminate it before it makes to to the turbo. I guess it would also help the intercooler out also being on the cold side, less pressure spikes? Just thought of that.

MrMike2010

Reaction score
Back when I had my turboed integra everyone suggested to keep the bov as close to the throttle body as possible to eliminate the lag between shifts. The theory was you would only be loosing the small amount between the valve and throttle body instead of draining the intercooler and such resulting in increased lag. Whether this was true and made a difference idk.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
my thoughts were to be on the cold side too being what you said above, the back pressure would be coming from the motor. Id assume the makers have done there research and found the best placing for the BOV though. For the IC, I guess being on either side of it will be the same. by the time the pressure gets to X amount it will release anyway so it would be less stressful on the cooler.

BOSS450

Reaction score
Back when I had my turboed integra everyone suggested to keep the bov as close to the throttle body as possible to eliminate the lag between shifts. The theory was you would only be loosing the small amount between the valve and throttle body instead of draining the intercooler and such resulting in increased lag. Whether this was true and made a difference idk.

Ding ding ding. Recommended cold side to keep air flow towards motor. Easier to respool, easier on surroundings to keep from being blasted with hot air, and cooler on bov.

BOSS450

Reaction score
While I understand this thought, wouldn't the build up of pressure start at the engine? I dunno how quickly valves react, but wouldn't releiving before it got to the turbos be better?

I dunno much about the import world, but I'm told there used a lot there. As far as the 6.4 diesel world, the bigger "stock appearing" turbos (71 72 76) don't like to be barked. I have a 72 on the way and I'm hoping for it to have a long, import smashing, life. Lol

Didn't really give that a thought, another plus for the cold side for sure.

What do you mean before turbos?

Beans71086

Reaction score
What do you mean before turbos?

Yeah just re read that. No matter the placement, hot or cold side, it's going to relieve the pressure before the turbos. But I think putting it closer to the motor would relive the pressure sooner.

So is barking when you let out of the throttle fast and it sorta goes whomp whomp whomp? I've got that BAD.

Yes! Not good for your turbos at all man.

Last edited:

6.4strokin

Reaction score
really interested on what you do beans this would reallly benefit people that have bigger turbo wheels in their stock housing to keep them lasting longer Im not saying the turbos wont last long but this will help them greatly. Thanks for the thread in for results when you get everything figured out

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
U stock turbo guys are funny lol. Have a big single spooled to about 20psi at 50% throttle and the converter locks. Thats a turbo bark!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Beans71086

Reaction score
really interested on what you do beans this would reallly benefit people that have bigger turbo wheels in their stock housing to keep them lasting longer Im not saying the turbos wont last long but this will help them greatly. Thanks for the thread in for results when you get everything figured out

While I appreciate the kind words, I'm no innovator in this field. LOL
There are lots of guys who have already done this, I'm just looking for some advise from the experts! But I will gladly post pics and keep this updated for ya.

U stock turbo guys are funny lol. Have a big single spooled to about 20psi at 50% throttle and the converter locks. Thats a turbo bark!!!

You big single guys are funny with all that lag below 3000rpms. :poke: LOL

6.4strokin

Reaction score

Im going the workstock route travis even though single turbo 6.4 sounds amazing

Latest posts

Members online