Bowed coil spring

NDsuperduty

Reaction score
What would cause both of my coil springs to bow slightly toward the front of my truck? It's drivable as I've put about 10k on the truck like this but I'm guessing it can't be correct. It's a 6" fabtech coil with a 2" spacer. Don't remember it having the bow before the spacer but it could have just be less noticeable. Any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated. Thanks

sootie

Reaction score
is the coil sitting properly in the bottom rest? with the end of the coil spring touching the stop?

also is the axle centered under the truck?

the coils can be repositioned by unbolting the sway bar, unbolting the shocks and lifting the frame of the truck.

NDsuperduty

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain they are seated properly. Someone told me it could be the castor or camber bolts, but I wouldn't think it would cause that.

Here's a pic of the drivers side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375910115.140222.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
it could very well be caused by the axle being tipped forward to far. having said that-if it is a proper lift, they should have got that covered...

NDsuperduty

Reaction score
it could very well be caused by the axle being tipped forward to far. having said that-if it is a proper lift, they should have got that covered...

The 6" fabtech was on the truck when I bought it and the spacers were added by a shop that has a pretty good reputation so I would think they would have adjusted whatever needed to be. That being said I didn't think there was much to be changed to add bump the 6" to an 8". I'm guessing its "safe" since its been this way for a year or so, but I still would like to correct it.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
It is from the spacer. Most spacer leveling kits cause this. Mine is bowed like that. The caster is off

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The spacer is the cause, your radius arm drop down brackets are only compensating for 4-6" of lift. You adding to that another two inches is changing the geometry. The radius arm drop brackets are designed to keep it close to stock geometry while adding lift, the pivot point on the bracket tries to keep the arm horizontal with the ground. The spring being the connecting points between the frame and the axle, the more additional lift you add to the axle side without compensating on the bracket to radius arm side will cause the spring to bow outward towards the front of the truck.

Take a spring out of a pen and put it between your thumb and index finger and try to compress it, watch it bow out and you have the same basic effect. It will cause the truck to ride stiffer as well since the spring can't vertically compress with out also closing the larger gap on the front side of the spring between the coils at the same time.

Hope that makes sense, kind of hard to explain in type.

sootie

Reaction score
:whs: thats what i was getting at but he can express it better. the same problem happens when you put 2.5" spacers on a stock truck. the wheel is too close to the back of the fender and death wobble is very close at hand. all because the caster is off. You need to get radius arm drop brackets made for 8" of lift or buy a four link setup.

NDsuperduty

Reaction score
Both explanations make sense, and I appreciate the help. I've been planning to get a 4-link anyway so this will be a good reason to do it sooner than later. Thinking about doing the new Top Gun Custom long arm kit.

Latest posts

Members online