Brain Picking..Upgrades

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
Just want to pick yalls brains on here for a sec. Want to see what the opinions are about what upgrades should be done post intake, exhaust, chip, gauges?? There are some cosmetic things that I want to take care of (ie-stereo, head lights housing, tail lights, bed liner, more tint blah blah blah) but I want to make sure I at least have most of the important performance upgrades done lol as far as tranny and torque converter goes i dont and wont be hauling anything heavy for a while so i can save and wait for that.

:pint::pint::pint::pint:

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
optimize!!! maximum efficiency of horse power and fuel economy (although ill take the hp any day lol) i just want my truck to be powerful and run the way its intended. My thoughts have been upgrade my fuel system, at some point bellowed up pipes..... but after that i dont really know lol

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
whats 160's? was looking at John Woods VB (thoughts on JW VB?) had my eye on the 6.0cooler and recommend the frx or a system from like FASS or AirDog?? I want to do the ccv mod as well as the AIH delete.

bruce

Reaction score
160's are stage 1's or ac code injectors, im sure jwvb would suffice, ad and fass are doodoo imo, regulated return is more reliable.

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
Ahh okay. And those injectors arent going to mess w my smog reg stuff.. i forgot to mention i am in Cali sooooooooo unfortunately i have to worry about smog

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
Also thinkin about investing in a wicked wheel or along the same lines as that. Recommend to just save my money and upgrade my turbo like i want to anyway or since its like a $100 or less just go for it now, and upgrade turbo when i can

4cstr

Reaction score
Truthfully...if there is a chance you are going to tow...save your money for a better cooler than the 6L cooler. I swapped out my all aluminum early 99 for the plastic tank'd 6L cooler...and kick myself everytime I tow.

indyF-350psd

Reaction score
dont bother with a ww.....i run stage 1's from swamps and love them....i sumped my tank and have an airdog feeding my stock pump and it runs great...fass doesnt have as good a rep as airdog.....also i run an h2e with carson stauffer's mount....its a good setup...powerful and reliable....i tow with my truck though so i kept it mild but very efficient......

indyF-350psd

Reaction score
Truthfully...if there is a chance you are going to tow...save your money for a better cooler than the 6L cooler. I swapped out my all aluminum early 99 for the plastic tank'd 6L cooler...and kick myself everytime I tow.

can you really tell that much of a difference? ive always wondered if there was....i went from a plastic ended 7.3 i/c to the hypermax tapercore....the tapercore is BEAST and uses up every square inch of space where it sits.....

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
Yeah, ill be towing but not for a while (until i can afford to buy stuff to tow lol) but i am very curious bout hutch/harpoon mod, frx mod, all that fuel stuff.....

OSCS

Reaction score

I think Bruce was referring to a 6.0 trans cooler, not inter cooler

4cstr

Reaction score
can you really tell that much of a difference? ive always wondered if there was....i went from a plastic ended 7.3 i/c to the hypermax tapercore....the tapercore is BEAST and uses up every square inch of space where it sits.....

Can I tell the difference...no, but that was my point. I hardly saw any difference between the two...and would have been better off saving up a few more pennies for the Banks, ATS or something similiar.

Yeah, ill be towing but not for a while (until i can afford to buy stuff to tow lol) but i am very curious bout hutch/harpoon mod, frx mod, all that fuel stuff.....

If you don't need to worry about freezing temps...the hutch mod makes sense. I 'pooned my tank as well, and it sure makes filling up the truck a snap. Do not forget about the pre-pump mod while you are under there. No hp increase...but good preventative maintenance.

DocBar

Reaction score
Any idea of what kind of budget you'll be playing with? A 38R, some mild injectors and good tuning should get you where you say you want to go. I would definitely do a regulated return fuel system. Check out the vendors section and pick one.

Another good option is to go with an Irate T4 turbo mount and T4 flange turbo such as an S3xx. Lots of turbo options with the T4 setup. It's a bit more expensive up front than a 38R, but worth it, IMO.

For tuning, I would do lots of research and call the tuners and ask lots of questions. A TS style 6 position chip is my choice. Some like programmers.

Be careful of the horsepower bug. It bites hard!!!:cursing:

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
Budget is hit and miss, but i can go like 5-1k a shot (depending how much time i act broke for lol) Regulated return fuel will be purchased along w my gauges and TS 6pos chip w TW tunes. I am ordering those this week. As far as injectors go, I need to keep it pretty conservative due to the fact i live in CA and have to deal w bulls*** smog regs so to be completely honest idk what to do about that...I dont want to go balls out on HP, but i want a pretty stiff truck

Latest posts

Members online