Brake Caliper Maint.

mclarengts

Reaction score
My drivers side Brake caliper is leaking fluid. does anyone have a write up on repacking brake calipers? or how to stop the leaking??

Big monk

Reaction score
If its leaking, probably means you broke the seal on one of the boots. Mine did the same thing, they aren't very hard or expensive to replace. i would change it out asap.

Arisley

Reaction score
Not the boot, there should be no fluid under the boot, it's just a dust boot. There is a square o-ring on the piston, it is probably bad. You can rebuild them if you can find the kits. Best to just replace the caliper, not very expensive. About 60 bucks from O'Reillys.

O'Reilly's also has the rebuild kits.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...d&model=F-350+Super+Duty&year=1999&vi=1354676

And the piston

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...d&model=F-350+Super+Duty&year=1999&vi=1354676

If there is any mark on the piston, replace it.

Last edited:

ezzyke

Reaction score
Replaced the caliper and flush the system. And I mean flush the hell out of it front and rear. Most likely the fluid has never been changed.

zilla68

Reaction score
if its like a chevy I've done some of those. I take a small piece of wood and put in between the piston and outer caliper, and where the brake line goes into the caliper shoot it with compressed air, and it will pop out. you have to make sure the piston surface isn't rusted, pitted etc, and the inside of the caliper also. install new oring and reassemble. Its pretty easy, but still Your better off and time and money ahead to just replace the caliper though. I always replaced them in a set, both fronts at the same time.

Arisley

Reaction score
Use only brake fluid to clean with. No solvents or any other liquid. Watch out for drops of sweat even. Hydraulic fluid hates other liquids.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
thanks guys, is there instructions on how to repack them, or is it just that easy

it is just that easy, but half the time the pins seize up in the bridge, rendering an easy job into a half-day scenario full of torches, air hammers, pliers, different pliers, swearing, burns, more swearing, and more swearing.

Andy's right. Remans are 60 bucks at O'Reilly's... well worth the cost savings of an IMCC visit with a burn on your palm...

Latest posts

Members online