Breaking in a 2016 F350

Fosterchild23

Reaction score
Vancouver Island B.C. / Grande Prairie, Alberta
I just recently purchased a 2016 crew, long superduty and was wondering about being able to tow anything right off the bat. I've heard you shouldn't tow anything for the first 500-1000 kms. I have only 600ish on mine but I need to tow my 95 7.3 on a flat deck about 1100 kms, across varying highway conditions with some pretty steep hills both up and down. I don't have the new owners manual infront of me otherwise I'd look but any information would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Owners manual says no towing for 800km, I towed lightly with 100km on the odometer, didn't have a choice due to the dealer dog-f'ing on delivery. Always believed break it in the way it is going to be driven and used, no cruise, no hard throttle or heavy miles right off the bat, but being soft on motors has shown up in the past to not be the best solution.

redneck101

Reaction score
Break it in like you drive everyday. That's what caterpillar tells us truckers. On big trucks, you haul full weight right off the bat, not sure why you'd need to get some miles on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Don't know how true this is, but they told me the engine was broken in from the factory lol.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
no need to vary speed if you're under heavy load

the need to vary speed on an empty break-in is so that you'll actually put it under load

Azraie218

Reaction score
I've never done any kind of break in driving, picked mine up, let it warm up good, drove it home from calgary hooked up a 46 foot toy hauler and went to the races.... work em hard seat the rings your good. they do come from the factory ready to roll, with new technology in the materials the motor is built of the old school break in driving is all but void and nill. IMO

04cr450

Reaction score
U ever see what they do to these engines from the factory? Itll make you cringe .They red line thru all the gears and the Trans as well straight of the assembly line. They are broken in already.
I know off subject but Allison trans are the same way- they put the Trans thru max torque and all gears straight off the assembly line. Did a couple jobs in the Allison plant and saw that myself.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Load the wagon strait from the dealership showroom floor. It will still last longer than anyone cares to keep one.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Once the truck are assembled they roll off the assembly line, put on the dyno makes a few WOT runs then it taken on the test course and the suspension is tested after that its shipped out.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
When you can buy a truck with 4 miles on the OD I wouldn't exactly say it was "broke in" from the factory. ! Lol

Just drive the rig. This isn't 1972 where ring wear concern was an issue! Lol. 2015 with a much improved keystone ring that's adaptive to heat. No worries!

morepower02

Reaction score
Once the truck are assembled they roll off the assembly line, put on the dyno makes a few WOT runs then it taken on the test course and the suspension is tested after that its shipped out.

Any proof of this I can't see them taking the time to run every one on the rollers I call bull chit....so every ford vehicle i have had with 5 or fewer miles on has been factory tested???

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Any proof of this I can't see them taking the time to run every one on the rollers I call bull chit....so every ford vehicle i have had with 5 or fewer miles on has been factory tested???

Yes sir let me see if I dig out a video from the ole youtube.

skip to 9:32 here is the test course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mdvbascJAA

let me see if I can find the dyno video.

Latest posts

Members online