BTS down for the count

psmike

Reaction score
Ok I just talked with BTS an Brian himself.. he has been out of the shop for about two weeks.. ( he had some Health issues that I wont discuss) an will slowly be back building them Great Transmissions . So Please be patient...

Oh ya.. the reason for my call was I broke my Torque converter an he's standing by his Warranty.

Arisley

Reaction score
Brian is a great transmission builder. Back in the day when the 4R100 was new, he was one of the first ones to learn what it took to make one live at fun power levels. However, the 4R100 is now almost twenty years old, the trans that went into the OBS trucks is even older. Lots and lots of good transmission builders out there have learned all of the secrets that were previously known to just a few.

Chris

Reaction score
Brian has had some health issues and has been out the past couple of weeks. Hes working on catching back up. Honestly, he should still be at home, and not at work, but hes a work-aholic and doesnt stop. Ive known Brian since before we even had a shop, and hes been the most stand up, helpful, and insightful person ive met in this industry, 13 years later. He has warrantied things for us he had NO business warrantying. Sure it sucks that your trans is down a few weeks due to brian being out. But, can any of us complain about getting a FREE repair on a transmission in a truck that makes twice (or more) power than it does stock? There is not a trans builder in the country that stands behind their products the way Brian does.

So honestly, its pretty irritating to see some guys on here get upset about it. For someone who bends over backwards to SO many people, its depressing to see guys have zero compassion in return.

And lastly, Arisely, you must be slipping and not keeping up with the diesel world these days. Sure others have made progress and have a much greater understanding of the 4r, but you think Brian rested and isnt still pressing forward? 4r100s are going in trucks that make 2-3x more power than a 7.3 has ever dreamed of, and theyre holding up. We went an entire SEASON last year on the same trans and converter at 1600+ hp, and ran at UCC and so far this season at 2200+ hp. The parts and things Brian is doing with the 4r are on a whole new level, and there are SO many things coming down the pipe that guys havent thought about. Different shafts, valve bodies, cryo processes, converter technology, trans brakes, and a few other even more impressive things that im not going to mention.

Sorry for the rant, but i hate to see someone that the entire industry has learned from, looks up to, and one of the most helpful people Ive met get bashed on because someone is feeling selfish. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. How would you like not feeling well, having other things 10x more important than trucks on your mind, pushing your body to get well so you can go back to work to HELP people, while someone is throwing a pitty party on the internet telling guys how its not good enough?

Chris B.
TSD

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Brian has had some health issues and has been out the past couple of weeks. Hes working on catching back up. Honestly, he should still be at home, and not at work, but hes a work-aholic and doesnt stop. Ive known Brian since before we even had a shop, and hes been the most stand up, helpful, and insightful person ive met in this industry, 13 years later. He has warrantied things for us he had NO business warrantying. Sure it sucks that your trans is down a few weeks due to brian being out. But, can any of us complain about getting a FREE repair on a transmission in a truck that makes twice (or more) power than it does stock? There is not a trans builder in the country that stands behind their products the way Brian does.

So honestly, its pretty irritating to see some guys on here get upset about it. For someone who bends over backwards to SO many people, its depressing to see guys have zero compassion in return.

And lastly, Arisely, you must be slipping and not keeping up with the diesel world these days. Sure others have made progress and have a much greater understanding of the 4r, but you think Brian rested and isnt still pressing forward? 4r100s are going in trucks that make 2-3x more power than a 7.3 has ever dreamed of, and theyre holding up. We went an entire SEASON last year on the same trans and converter at 1600+ hp, and ran at UCC and so far this season at 2200+ hp. The parts and things Brian is doing with the 4r are on a whole new level, and there are SO many things coming down the pipe that guys havent thought about. Different shafts, valve bodies, cryo processes, converter technology, trans brakes, and a few other even more impressive things that im not going to mention.

Sorry for the rant, but i hate to see someone that the entire industry has learned from, looks up to, and one of the most helpful people Ive met get bashed on because someone is feeling selfish. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. How would you like not feeling well, having other things 10x more important than trucks on your mind, pushing your body to get well so you can go back to work to HELP people, while someone is throwing a pitty party on the internet telling guys how its not good enough?

Chris B.
TSD

Agree with you 100%. Hope you are wearing your flame suit though, the "me first" generation is gonna be all over this.

Chris

Reaction score
haha ill grab my firesuit out of the race trailer. Heck i havent posted here in 4 years and its obviously a new crowd. Its not my style to post stuff like that, but some of the things i read really struct a nerve, just knowing Brian personally and knowing how he is, it bugs me to see him get bashed on for something out of his control which hes trying his best to get over. And i totally understand their frustration and i know the lack of communication is annoying, especially these days when we take for granted how easy it is to communicate with eachother. Just hate to see someone catching flack that deserves it less than anyone in the diesel world.

freddie

Reaction score
+1 Chris. Spot on. I was surprised by some of the comments.

Brian has a reputation as one of the best, if not the best E4OD/4R100 builder in the business, because he builds great transmissions and has an unbeatable warranty. But because they're busy, they get blasted for poor customer service? Unbelievable. I would understand the frustration if dealing with some mom and pop shop, but with a nationally known reputable builder, I think it's fair to expect a lead time, especially if Brian is dealing with health issues.

Complainers should shop around til some no-name shop answers their call on the first ring because they aren't busy, spend thousands at said shop without a reputation, to buy a product with unknown durability - not to mention not knowing how said shop will or won't stand behind that product.

psmike

Reaction score
Hey Chris Ill stand behind you in my fire jacket an Helmet. also have know Brian for well 20 years..

Denver

Reaction score
Sucks for the OP. Sounds like he really needs that truck on the road instead of sitting for 6+ weeks when he was told around 3 weeks. I would be calling and asking for the transmission back so I could have a core for a local guy or reman Ford unit. Sometimes a free repair that takes 6 weeks hurts more than just paying locally for a 3 day turn around.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with his trans building capabilities or his R&D. This is about his customer service which plain sucks. If he has health issues and going to be out for a while, his office staff should call all his customers that are waiting for their transmissions for an update; not given a round around.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Copperhead

Reaction score
There is not a trans builder in the country that stands behind their products the way Brian does.

HA......
You wanna bet ?

I'd put one of Chris Garrett's 4R100/E4OD transmissions (and Warranty) up against anybody's in the country. He's located in northern Georgia

https://www.facebook.com/A1-Transmission-of-Ga-Inc-174391162575380/

All of his work (machining & etc)and assembly is done in house,.....by Chris himself,....Not some flunky that he pays 12 bucks an hour. To my knowledge,....he's the only guy in the country that built a Trans-Brake for a 4R100,...that actually works like it should.

Him, as well as many of his customers race their trucks and push them to the limit,.....which is what he wants,.....so he can make adjustments & upgrades to his build spec and in turn, design one of the best transmissions that you can get.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
With watching these threads for the last few years ive definitely decided to go local with my trans... If it will ever die LOL

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score
Give our best to Brian, we wish him better health and rest.

This whole thread is a nightmare and just reminds me of the ****ing trash Tony had to deal with on the forum after his situation.

I'm sorry to see his lead time increase due to his situation and I'm sorry some people aren't more understanding about it.

:(

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Give our best to Brian, we wish him better health and rest.

This whole thread is a nightmare and just reminds me of the ****ing trash Tony had to deal with on the forum after his situation.

I'm sorry to see his lead time increase due to his situation and I'm sorry some people aren't more understanding about it.

:(
A week is understandable, two weeks eh..but over a month at this . I understand life gets in the way, just be up front about it when I call.

The reason we paid the money we did for the trans initially is so we wouldn't have these issues. It's an excursion that's daily driven by a 63 yr old guy. He's not out racing and hauling 20k pounds.

I'm glad he's back in the shop and wish him the best catching back up. That's the issue with providing a specialized service that you're the only one capable of.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score
A week is understandable, two weeks eh..but over a month at this . I understand life gets in the way, just be up front about it when I call.

The reason we paid the money we did for the trans initially is so we wouldn't have these issues. It's an excursion that's daily driven by a 63 yr old guy. He's not out racing and hauling 20k pounds.

I'm glad he's back in the shop and wish him the best catching back up. That's the issue with providing a specialized service that you're the only one capable of.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oh, I think I see. The concern was not getting any communication as to the hold (regardless of reason I assume) ?

That... that is a bummer. I hope that is not the case for everyone.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Oh, I think I see. The concern was not getting any communication as to the hold (regardless of reason I assume) ?

That... that is a bummer. I hope that is not the case for everyone.

Only thing I’ve been told every time I’ve called in the last six weeks “I’ll talk to Brian and call back”. Builds a dam good transmission but if it takes 2 months for a warranty claim....

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What most people don't understand is that they are not the only customer. Chit happens that cant be corrected. It definitely does suck but what else can you expect from a shop that has thousands of customers with who knows how many transmissions sitting on the floor waiting in line. I watched the man pull out my transmission and put a new converter and flex plate in it since the old one had a pin hole in the weld and put it back in and was topping off the fluid in 50 minutes. That was all done after i pulled into his shop at 8pm after driving down there from work in iowa.. also didnt charge me a dime for the new flex plate.

The guy is straight up busy. And a hell of a guy. Yes many have had issues over the years with turn around times but when someone is that busy and something happens then it sets them back that much farther. If a guy is constantly on the phone with customers then how can they expect any work to get done? At the time i was down to his shop, brian was building or rebuilding one transmission a day. So if he gave a 3 week turn around and was still at the same rate of one a day then do that math. Thats how many people where ahead of you. All calling and waiting to hear what the problem was. Not including new customers or old customers calling with questions.

I do get it about being up front and just saying the dude has health issues and your trans wont be done for a couple extra weeks. Still sucks butnat least its nkt a run around then..

live life full throttle

Chris

Reaction score
Would love to. How much?

And before you take this the wrong way, this is not a knock at all against your buddy. Sounds like an extremely talented and hard working guy whos in the process of making a HECK of a product and reputation for himself. Im sure hell have a LOT of success over the years. Hopefully if an unexpected and sudden illness occurs to him 20 years from now, he wont have to see a couple guys selfishly blast him on the internet because theyre inconvenienced by a few weeks waiting on a free repair on a performance product.

But, at the same time, Im extremely confident in the 4r Brian has built and had in multiple race trucks for the past few seasons. We are still running the same trans we ran on the dyno at UCC (2238hp), as well as the sled pulling portion of UCC, and our 5.4 passes at the Tulsa NHRDA race earlier this year. Will be interesting to see how many passes it will hold up to at 2200hp and 6100lbs. So, if youre up for a wager, id love to play!

Hopefully you see this post in a light hearted way, as its NOT intended negatively towards your friend who builds transmissions at all.
HA......
You wanna bet ?

I'd put one of Chris Garrett's 4R100/E4OD transmissions (and Warranty) up against anybody's in the country. He's located in northern Georgia

https://www.facebook.com/A1-Transmission-of-Ga-Inc-174391162575380/

All of his work (machining & etc)and assembly is done in house,.....by Chris himself,....Not some flunky that he pays 12 bucks an hour. To my knowledge,....he's the only guy in the country that built a Trans-Brake for a 4R100,...that actually works like it should.

Him, as well as many of his customers race their trucks and push them to the limit,.....which is what he wants,.....so he can make adjustments & upgrades to his build spec and in turn, design one of the best transmissions that you can get.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Would love to. How much?

And before you take this the wrong way, this is not a knock at all against your buddy. Sounds like an extremely talented and hard working guy whos in the process of making a HECK of a product and reputation for himself. Im sure hell have a LOT of success over the years. Hopefully if an unexpected and sudden illness occurs to him 20 years from now, he wont have to see a couple guys selfishly blast him on the internet because theyre inconvenienced by a few weeks waiting on a free repair on a performance product.

But, at the same time, Im extremely confident in the 4r Brian has built and had in multiple race trucks for the past few seasons. We are still running the same trans we ran on the dyno at UCC (2238hp), as well as the sled pulling portion of UCC, and our 5.4 passes at the Tulsa NHRDA race earlier this year. Will be interesting to see how many passes it will hold up to at 2200hp and 6100lbs. So, if youre up for a wager, id love to play!

Hopefully you see this post in a light hearted way, as its NOT intended negatively towards your friend who builds transmissions at all.

No offense taken,.....

Not knocking BTS in any way,....

BUT,..
It just seems that SO MANY people think that Brian (BTS) is the only guy in the business that can build an E4OD/4R-100 to stand up to big power,....and back it up with a warranty. This is simply not the case these days.

Chris Garrett is one of the most upstanding guys in the business. Like I said before,.....I'd put his work up against anybody's,.....including Brian's.

Just saying,.... ;)

FWIW,....
I have a Gas truck that I Drag-Race (my Diesel is my tow-rig),....and back in 2016,... I was running two different Points series races at the same time (one weekend apart) Chris' expertise in transmissions helped me to take 1st place in both of those. Even though mid season,....I had a failure. He understood my situation and that my time was very limited between events. Got it fixed in time,....and I was able to keep racing,.......and most importantly,... Winning.

That type of customer service,....makes all the difference in the world to me.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No offense taken,.....

Not knocking BTS in any way,....

BUT,..
It just seems that SO MANY people think that Brian (BTS) is the only guy in the business that can build an E4OD/4R-100 to stand up to big power,....and back it up with a warranty. This is simply not the case these days.

Chris Garrett is one of the most upstanding guys in the business. Like I said before,.....I'd put his work up against anybody's,.....including Brian's.

Just saying,.... ;)

FWIW,....
I have a Gas truck that I Drag-Race (my Diesel is my tow-rig),....and back in 2016,... I was running two different Points series races at the same time (one weekend apart) Chris' expertise in transmissions helped me to take 1st place in both of those. Even though mid season,....I had a failure. He understood my situation and that my time was very limited between events. Got it fixed in time,....and I was able to keep racing,.......and most importantly,... Winning.

That type of customer service,....makes all the difference in the world to me.
Do you use a 4r100 in your drag truck? How many 4r100s does your buddy have behind motors that make quadruple digit horse power and 2 to 3 times the torque? Not knocking him. Just curious as i have never heard of him.

live life full throttle

Copperhead

Reaction score
Do you use a 4r100 in your drag truck?

NO,.....
I have a C-6,....BUT,.... there are some hard parts that are designed for an E4OD/4R100 that were used in my build.

How many 4r100s does your buddy have behind motors that make quadruple digit horse power and 2 to 3 times the torque?

I have no idea how many he has built,......as in my mind, that's not what's important. I'm mainly concerned with what he can do for "me" and the quality over quantity. I do know that he gets a LOT of business. He use to do all kinds of automotive repairs,....BUT,... his transmission business is booming so much, that trans stuff is all he does now.

I have never heard of him.
What does that have to do with it ? Are you the Holy grail of knowledge when it comes to Aftermarket Suppliers and/or Manufactures?
I'm sure Brian @ BTS was an unknown several years ago as well.

I hadn't heard of him either,....until a few years ago when a friend of mine recommended him. I've been to his shop several times,.....and Now,.......I won't go anywhere else.

FWIW,...I didn't mention his name as some form of a dick measuring contest and/or how may Hoes he may have banged. I just want people to know they have options these days.

Bottom line,......the guy knows his stuff,...is reasonably priced,....and backs up his work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online