BTS fluid change question

psdguy95

Reaction score
I bought the truck off a good friend of mine and it has a 1st gen bts in it. I'm wanting to change the fluid and filter in it soon. So with that said and it being my first bts trans what filter does it take? oem ford filter? And it also has the deep pan on it so does anyone know roughly how many quarts of fluid it takes? Thanks in advance.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
oem filter.

Dry fill on a stock trans is around 17.7 qts with the 26 row cooler. magtec adds 8 Qts.
fluid is mercon 5. call brian and make sure he doesnt want something else fluid wise to be run...

dmd

Reaction score
I forget what he uses, I have the bottles at home. He recommends dropping the pan, changing the stock filer and then refilling. Pretty simple, no flush machines or special additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CGMKCM

Reaction score
I just did this service in November. Schafers all trans is what Brian uses (or something compatible) you will need Eight quarts if you are just dropping the pan and changing the filter. Add all eight when you button everything back up. I went by the dipstick reading and only added Six. Had some shifting problems, added the other Two and everything is fine. The dipstick is accurate if transmission fluid is warmed up and truck is in neutral. Don't be alarmed if you see some black material around the pan magnet.

psdguy95

Reaction score
No not that long ago. Maybe 4 years now. Thats just what I was told when I bought the truck. It was from a good friend of mine so I may have just miss understood what he said.

Latest posts

Members online