buddy's 6.0 problems

97crewcab

Reaction score
Well I will start with history. My buddy has a 2003 f350 4x4 with maybe 136k on it. This winter it stopped running. He replaced the icp and still no start. We then did the air test on it and found the hpop was leaking. took it all apart and found the screen under the oil cooler missing a couple sections. replaced the screen and the hpop and got the truck running. While we were driving it trying to get the air out. It started to sound like it was knocking a little bit. But after about 5 miles it cleared out. Stopped at my house and it was idling like crap. Hooked my solus pro up to it and found a cylinder 8 contribution code. I just kind of though it was air so I said to drive it some more and see if it clears out. he maybe put 200 to 250 miles on it after the hpop install. But it was still running like crap. Checked all of our wires, check connection to ficm, did injector buzz test, and checked contribution and it was at some thing like -30 to -40. so we pulled the injector and he sent it into rosewood. Got it back and he put it in himself. and now it idles a little better but it chuggs pretty good up hills and idles a little better but not smooth. I am going to bring home my scanner tomorow and see if there are any codes. But just want to get the bug in your guys ears. I am kind of out of ideas and still pretty new to these 6.0's. I will let you guys know what I find tomorrow. Thanks for the help in advance. hope my buddy will finally join this site to so he can clearify some of the things I missed.

webb06

Reaction score
How's the compression on cylinder #8? Did you check blow-by out the oil fill cap while its running?

97crewcab

Reaction score
I don't know what the blowby looks like and I'm not sure how to do a compression test on one of these or what I should see

webb06

Reaction score
Remove the oil fill cap while its running and normally it should be just a small steady haze of white. If you see a puff like one cylinder is bad and every time the piston comes up with puffs the crankcase pressure out then that's bad.

97crewcab

Reaction score
Alright thanks man. I will check after work today. Will also be checking for codes. Should I still try to check compression?

97crewcab

Reaction score
Took a look at the truck this weekend. Checked blowby from the fill tube. Looked to be pretty steady haze. Checked codes and still had a cylinder 8 contribution code again. Started to think about it and I asked my buddy if he remebered if there was the copper washer on the end of the old injector. We both couldn't remeber for the lifes of us. So he took it out again and lone behold there was two washers on the end of the injector. Removed one, oiled the injector and reinstalled. Cleared codes and drove the truck. It is still doing the same thing and throwing the same code. Cylinder contribution on the injector was at its highest at -141. told him to call rosewood thinking maybe it was a bad injector. they said to swap it wth the one next to it to see if it follows it. I will find out more tomorrow. But my question is one: do you guys thik with putting the two washers in there it messed anything up with the cup or anything. Also if it doesn't follow it what could it be? wiring? this is starting to frustrate me and my buddy as well. thanks for the help guys.

Gary

Reaction score
Check the connector on the injector and make sure its ok, and do a compression test. If thats good, its the injector.

97crewcab

Reaction score
Buddy swapped injectors around and drive it. He said it was still doing the same thing. Had him come over and I checked codes. Still a number 8 contribution fault. He also said the plug looked good. Checked the blowby while the sun was still up and it does look like it is puffing a little bit. I guess now I need to find the adapter for the compression tester to go into the hole for the glow plug. Anyone have a part number for that by chance. Weather it be snap-on or otc. Also it has a poping noise coming out of the intake. No clue as to what that is.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
have you checked all the pushrods, could be a collapsed or exploded lifter

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

Mdub707

Reaction score
If you had compression from cylinder 8 leak into the rail, it probably destroyed the o-rings on the injectors on that entire bank. I'd pull them all and put new seals on them and hope the injector itself isn't ruined. If you pull that valve cover again, pull all 4 injectors and check them over. New o-rings wont hurt. I have heard of the injectors being damaged from this.

Lassie

Reaction score
If you had compression from cylinder 8 leak into the rail, it probably destroyed the o-rings on the injectors on that entire bank. I'd pull them all and put new seals on them and hope the injector itself isn't ruined. If you pull that valve cover again, pull all 4 injectors and check them over. New o-rings wont hurt. I have heard of the injectors being damaged from this.

When that happens, you will have combustion soot/burn all the way to the fuel passage oring, and possibly missing comb. washer. Also will have other cont. codes.

I agree that it's time for compression test on eight. Also, pull valve cover and roll engine over to see if valves are cycling.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.