build opinions

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a while and reading a bunch, I just want some opinions on my build that I'm gonna start this winter..

My truck is an 01 350, Zf6, and my only mods are a php hydra, exhaust and an Ais intake.. my goal is a fun daily driver around 400hp, and be reliable..

My frist question is what turbo? I've considered the 38r with the 1.15 housing, but I also like irate's s366 package, I'm going to go with 160/100 injectors..

Second question is do I need to do a regulated return at this hp level? Also are head studs necessary?

Jason

Reaction score
Studs, nor springs are necessary. I wouldn't mess with a rr either, but that's just me.

For 400hp, I'd either rebuild your stock turbo, do a ww2, and ebpv delete on it...or a 38r. Big price difference between the two, but I wouldn't want to listen to a 38r all day either.

I dunno if 160's will get you to 400..may get closer due to having a 6 speed vs auto, but I think a 175/146 would get you to 400 a lot easier..

bruce

Reaction score
Well since you probably have PMR I'd say some 160/30 and a 38r or sd66 and an frx. No you don't need studs.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I lucked out, my truck has had a reman motor at some point in its life and I verified it through the inspection plug that I have forged rods...

So Sofar 38r is the choice? I want bellowed uppies no matter what.. my stockers are leaking bad, so that's why I was trying to decide on which turbo, when I have my clutch done I was gonna fix that problem as well... Just didn't want to spend the money on IH pipes if I was gonna go with an irate kit lol

So what hp level would I be at with 160/100's?

bigfords

Reaction score
The 38R shouldn't be too noisy with that AIS intake. I think guys are running right around 400 with the 160/100s, maybe even a little more if I recall.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
So would the 1.15 housing provide decent spool up? I want as low of egt's as I can get for when I tow

njjeep

Reaction score
I would go with the irate kit it's not much more money and than you have a stronger turbo. Also, you will have the ability to put any t-4 turbo if you want to go bigger one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jaybuller

Reaction score
Look at my sig it's. Close to 400 I'm sure, I would go with a 38r and is what I'm gonna go with. Stock turbo with ww2 and waste gate closed never cleans up the 160/30 sticks so power is still to be had with more air! I love my setup and wouldn't want to go any bigger due to the studs, springs, turbo upgrades, fuel system upgrades ECt.....

ToMang07

Reaction score
IMO for a 400hp build:

Gauges. (EGT/Fuel Pressure/Boost)
T-500 HPOP
160/100 Injectors
GTP38R
International Bellowed Up-Pipes
FRX
HPX
Hutch/harpoon mod
Plenum inserts with new intercooler boots and t-bolt clamps all around.

And plan on a new clutch in the future.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I gotta put a clutch in next days off lol its already slipping, but who knows how hard the po was on it.. I already have gauges, but I though intercoolers weren't worth upgrading unlesss your at serious hp?

Also plenum inserts or riffraff/irate plenums?

DocBar

Reaction score
The WW2 seems to have quieted down the noisy azz 38R, so that should be high up on the list, but the HP bug bites hard, so definitely consider a T4 based turbo, say a 366 from Irate, for future applications.

I would also consider an SRP1.1 HPOP since it can handle a wide variety of injector sizes (more so than the T500? Not 100% sure). Other than that, throw in the gauges, RR fuel system, etc. Nothing major, but keep an eye towards the future, when 400 RWHP is just oh so boring. :ford:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.