Build plans?

Redrock2000

Reaction score
Lubbock Texas by way of Detroit ( birthplace unfor
Help me with my build plans. I need to invest in some injectors and I want to get some that I can grow with. My goal is as much hp to possible and still be a reliable dd, tow, play toy. My truck is still stock with 6637 and exhaust but I just want to continue growing and only want to do it once. Plans are bts trans, injectors , turbo and all supporting mods over time as I plan to keep the truck till I'm gone. What do y'all suggest?

Black 02

Reaction score
Help me with my build plans. I need to invest in some injectors and I want to get some that I can grow with. My goal is as much hp to possible and still be a reliable dd, tow, play toy. My truck is still stock with 6637 and exhaust but I just want to continue growing and only want to do it once. Plans are bts trans, injectors , turbo and all supporting mods over time as I plan to keep the truck till I'm gone. What do y'all suggest?

What year is your truck?

Does it have forged rods?

I'd get an S468 with a T4 mount.

Some kind of bigger oil: SRP1.1, Terminator..... Something

Injectors: 300/200 hybrids from PIS or 350/200's from Full Force

Fuel System: Irate, NLTD, or others.

That is only if you have forged rods and with that, you are rolling the dice.

There is no 100% guarantee with performance in the 7.3 world. Well, there is, but that is chip, intake, and exhaust.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Super happy with my truck. It tows, gets 18 mpg, zero smoke in the light tunes, and mucho fun in the big ones. The only compromise I've seen is in temps colder than 20 some haze at idle until she's warmed up.

Jason

Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, and only want to do it once...and you don't absolutely NEED injectors today...I would buy a 7.3 motor to build on the side. This way you can build it as time and funds allow, and your ride isn't down all the time while you "upgrade". Carillo rods, Smith bros, or other quality pushrods, comp valve springs, girdle, so if the block splits, you aren't walking the last 10 miles down the interstate trying to find all your scattered parts..they'll be convenient to find..as that's about all a girdle is good for. And maybe a partial fill to help strengthen things up. I haven't paid enough attention to that topic to know if altitude, and any towing can be hindered much by a partial fill, so that may not be a good idea..I'd check the peanut gallery.

Anyhow, i'd definitely build a motor on the side, that way there is no ruah due to downtime, and you can do everything you want, and pay attention to all the small details.

bruce

Reaction score
I'd prolly just do a simple 175/80 and sd66, frx, nltd tunes, honey badger jr if needed

Redrock2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies y'all. I do want to build an engine as backup. I've got a forged rod motor in my 22000 but I do plan on keeping it forever so my backup motor will have the beefed up bottom end.I just want to build what I have right now to eventually make 500+HP. Ryan you've got all the mods in your sig running an frx? What kinda numbers are you making with that?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
500hp is more or less pretty easy...

T4 or T4i turbo of your choice (I am a really big fan of the 66mm H2e)
230/100 or 250/100 with good solid tunes (Performance Injection Systems)
If your going to do it with 230/100 I would look at a mid size HPOP system... (No Limit Honey Badger Jr)

and of course supporting mods... studs, springs and such...

Southmike

Reaction score
clone thuggy's last build
iirc
crower rods
comp springs
better push rods
h11 studs
gt42
pis 250 injectors
termy twins
fluid damper
di headers
bts tranny
I would bet on some sort of traction control system too like caltracs or better.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
iirc
crower rods
comp springs
better push rods
h11 studs
gt42
pis 250 injectors
termy twins
fluid damper
di headers
bts tranny
I would bet on some sort of traction control system too like caltracs or better.

Rods for 500hp??? There is $2000 for nothing...

Black 02

Reaction score
Ryan you've got all the mods in your sig running an frx? What kinda numbers are you making with that?

My injectors were just 160/100's from Full Force. They didn't require a bigger full regulated system. The FRX worked for what I was doing.

That being said, I have no idea what kind of HP it was making. It scattered before I ever dyno'd it or ran it at the track. Stupid PMR's. I knew it whipped the **** out of my brothers 5.9 Common Rail with some tuning done and my friends twin turbo'd 12V, so that was all I needed to leave with a smile. :flipa:

I know when I launched it the last time before it blew up racing my brother, it was smoking all (4) 37's on the dry pavement with a boosted launch, so I know it was running pretty damn good. Wheel hopping SOB..... :) Not 500 hp good, but good.

My new engine will basically be what I told you above. mattman347 is running it in his OBS and it is an impressive setup that he tows with also. The truck isn't just a highway princess. Call him at Full Force Diesel. Jake at Irate is running a similar setup also. Jason at NLTD is also a good resource. They are all really good dudes that can help you with all your needs.

If you go to any kind of hybrid, I'd get a regulated return system from like NLTD, Irate, or Dennis. All quality kits.

Good luck and get ready to fork over the $$$$$

Last edited:

bruce

Reaction score
iirc
crower rods
comp springs
better push rods
h11 studs
gt42
pis 250 injectors
termy twins
fluid damper
di headers
bts tranny

I think that's a bit overkill for 500

Black 02

Reaction score
I think that's a bit overkill for 500

I agree, but what I read was as much power as possible to DD/Tow/Race reliably. Later, he said 500+. What is 500+? That could be 505 hp or it could be 750 hp.

That's the problem. That can be 700 hp with the right supporting mods.

That's 550hp with forged rods.

Most people in diesel performance that I know, don't stop. Just like me. I was done at chip, intake, and exhaust. A year later it's injectors. A year later it's a turbo kit.

Billet rods are good insurance. They are spendy, but then he wouldn't have to worry.

Redrock2000

Reaction score
I've been a hot rodder all my life. I've got a 91big block fox project in the shop that will probably never be street legal so. Knowing that once the HP bug bites my pickup will just continue to grow as funds allow. There's a SD here in Texas I saw on YouTube the guy built as a do all DD toy that kind of inspired me. Along with y'all of course. I can't honestly say what I would be happy with HP wise that's where the 500+ came from I just know from drag racing etc that I would want more and more. But still be a DD and be able to reliably go across the country.

Southmike

Reaction score
my list was complete overkill for 500 I forgot the dual stocker pumps as well.
the op question list was

Realiabe was one key- so you don't get
I know when I launched it the last time before it blew up racing my brother, it was smoking all (4) 37's on the dry pavement with a boosted launch, so I know it was running pretty damn good. Wheel hopping SOB..... Not 500 hp good, but good.
I assume due to pmr's

It seemed that the peanut gallery came up with the magic 500 number.
Thuggy's truck (last build) was the most hassle free ,live forever build at high or at least decent hp numbers . It did not puke Turbo wheels out (sorry skav), sling rods, pop oil or any of that mess. He could tow, drag or drive to the store without worries.
That is if you have the cash to do it once and do it right.

If not, stick to kiddie side of the pool, and stay at /under 500.
at which point I doubt weather I would even stud it.
med oil hpop, 160 or 200/ 80 injectors, bts tranny , di reg return, if it is a 99.5& up a gt38r with ww2 or sd66 , if it is a e99 h2e or qssb or t4 turbo of choice..

look at vanders build, I want 400, no 500, should I add some spray,600..give me more.. hp bug can be addictive.

Last edited:

Black 02

Reaction score
my list was complete overkill for 500 I forgot the dual stocker pumps as well.
the op question list was

Realiabe was one key- so you don't get
I assume due to pmr's

It seemed that the peanut gallery came up with the magic 500 number.
Thuggy's truck (last build) was the most hassle free ,live forever build at high or at least decent hp numbers . It did not puke Turbo wheels out (sorry skav), sling rods, pop oil or any of that mess. He could tow, drag or drive to the store without worries.
That is if you have the cash to do it once and do it right.

If not, stick to kiddie side of the pool, and stay at /under 500.
at which point I doubt weather I would even stud it.
med oil hpop, 160 or 200/ 80 injectors, bts tranny , di reg return, if it is a 99.5& up a gt38r with ww2 or sd66 , if it is a e99 h2e or qssb or t4 turbo of choice..

look at vanders build, I want 400, no 500, should I add some spray,600..give me more.. hp bug can be addictive.

I agree with you, southmike. I was curious about the 500 hp only remarks as well. The OP never said he was stopping at 500 hp. He said 500+ hp. Thug (aka Jason @ NLTD) had a sweet truck from what I heard. I never saw it in person, but watched the YouTube videos. Reliable and made huge power for what it had.

Yes, in the sentence earlier, I stated that the engine blew up due to PMR's. It was a PMR engine. I found out for sure when the rod came out of the pan. :redspotdance:

Latest posts

Members online