Buy a used oil cooler?

TexasDieselGuy

Reaction score
Too late now I suppose, but I've installed half a dozen or so of the Dorman kits and havent had any problems with them...
Search Amazon.com for Dorman 904-228. $120, comes with a new heat exchanger, all the gaskets, even the screen!

Snake

Reaction score
Too late now I suppose, but I've installed half a dozen or so of the Dorman kits and havent had any problems with them...
Search Amazon.com for Dorman 904-228. $120, comes with a new heat exchanger, all the gaskets, even the screen!

I'd put a used OEM oil cooler in before a Dorman.

Zmann

Reaction score
LOL

Why ? because the used would just be plugged up instead of mixing oil and coolant together

TexasDieselGuy

Reaction score
I know what you're saying, we said the same thing at first, but got really tired of filing warranty claims with Ford for failed coolers so we decided to try something else. We 'flow' tested the first couple we got, with a garden hose adapter just to see how much restriction there is to flow... answer none! It shot up a 3 foot geyser on the open end, which is great for EGR cooler life, and we haven't had any issues with oil in the water. If the OEM stuff is crap, I have no problem using aftermarket.

Snake

Reaction score
It's difficult to restrict flow when leaking. Far too many people have had Dorman coolers rupture and numerous shops won't use them, even at the customer's request.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I considered a dorman cooler, but ive read too many bad things about them to convince me otherwise. Im just going to stick with the stock cooler, and flish the system every 25k versus 50k miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Zmann

Reaction score
I know what you're saying, we said the same thing at first, but got really tired of filing warranty claims with Ford for failed coolers so we decided to try something else. We 'flow' tested the first couple we got, with a garden hose adapter just to see how much restriction there is to flow... answer none! It shot up a 3 foot geyser on the open end, which is great for EGR cooler life, and we haven't had any issues with oil in the water. If the OEM stuff is crap, I have no problem using aftermarket.
how does the Dorman improve the real issue the OEM cooler has ?
in other words how does it prevent the external cooling passages from plugging ?

and if an Oil cooler plugs with junk is it a Pile of crap ? or just subject to crap it wasn't designed to handle

IDK ?

Snake

Reaction score
Oil cooler ranking, IMO

Bulletproof Diesel > OEM > Dorman > IPR high flow oil cooler > no oil cooler

Snake

Reaction score
Wrong, No oil cooler before dorman lol

LOL

It's a close call.

The Dorman is just as likely as the OEM to clog and more likely to rupture. The IPR high flow oil cooler is less likely to clog than OEM, but it's passages are too large to effectively control oil temps (think 20* delta on flat ground when it's brand new and working as designed).

Latest posts

Members online