Buying a 6.4???

dthompson

Reaction score
Ok, long story short, wifey is wanting to trade her car for a 6.4. One is an 08 250 CCSB KR 200k "bone stock". Other is CCLB 450 DRW with 180k. DPF and egr have fallen off. Both look like nice trucks. I'm 7.3 and 6.0 savvy but clueless on a 6.4. What do I need to look for? I have AE so that will help. I'm scared of all the horror stories of engines and fuel system issues. Tell me why I should or shouldn't get a 6.4 and what to look for. Thanks

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
you shouldn't get a 6.4 unless you're prepared to put $12k under the hood at a moment's notice.

you likely won't have to. I've owned a number of them. Currently still have one and would drive it anywhere. I've never had a problem with any of my trucks. But I've seen enough chit go down to know what COULD be around the corner.

They're my favorite trucks, so I live with that knowledge and I can afford a new engine if necessary.

Neither of those trucks would be my recommendation for an intro to 6.4 ownership unless that CCSB is still owned/driven by the original owner and they have maint records.

I wouldn't touch the F450 w/ a 10ft pole, personally.

You need to look for a crystal ball that will tell you when/if it's going to crack a piston and what kind of oil change:regen ratio it experienced so that you can make an educated dice roll on what kind of health/lifespan the needle bearings in the lifters have left.

have fun! :D

DWhite

Reaction score
^ What he said. Buying a used 6.4 with that many miles is a crap shoot. I bought mine as a 1 owner with 130k on it and deleted it right after I got it and it has been fine. Had a buddy buy a used one with 90k miles on it and it cracked a piston alittle over 100k and I drive my truck harder than he does.

So I would say it is how lucky you feel and the luck of the draw.

If you do go look at it I would try and find a way to check the compression manually if possible. The AE is a good scanner it just won't let you turn off computer compensation and that does hide a few issues if it has any.

Last edited:

dthompson

Reaction score
I'm doing my best to talk her out of it. We have a NICE built 7.3. Told her she can drive that to cure her diesel bug. LOL.

Rubenk

Reaction score
you shouldn't get a 6.4 unless you're prepared to put $12k under the hood at a moment's notice.

you likely won't have to. I've owned a number of them. Currently still have one and would drive it anywhere. I've never had a problem with any of my trucks. But I've seen enough chit go down to know what COULD be around the corner.

They're my favorite trucks, so I live with that knowledge and I can afford a new engine if necessary.

Neither of those trucks would be my recommendation for an intro to 6.4 ownership unless that CCSB is still owned/driven by the original owner and they have maint records.

You need to look for a crystal ball that will tell you when/if it's going to crack a piston and what kind of oil change:regen ratio it experienced so that you can make an educated dice roll on what kind of health/lifespan the needle bearings in the lifters have left.

Pretty much all of this. Buy a clean low mileage one or roll the dice!

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Ok, Gonna go look at a 6.4 tomorrow. I have AE, what do I need to look for? Thanks

EOT/ECT blowby out the oil fill look for any major codes/leaks/weird sounds ,I would look at short term fuel trims also coolant/oil level and smell also while the hood is up check the VGT actuator and move it back and forth and feel for any binding while the key is off.

I know AE CCT is not very helpful on the 6.0'/6.4's but I would look at that also.

Drive it down the road see how it drives/shifts listen for any weird noises. Watch boost EGT/EBP/VGTDC/ECT/EOT/TFT/Rail pressure etc going down the road.

Rev it up in park and listen to the rockers.

Get all the service records you can and if its at a dealer get a oasis.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
Something I like to do is look at the obd2 plug. It's usually easy to see if it's had a tuner or diagnostic tool slid on and off a hundred Times.

Silly I know.

usramc

Reaction score
If it's bone stock with 200k seems to me like it's either a decent truck or the owners have tons of money to keep it going. Most guys buy their trucks, run the hottest tune possible all the time, treat every stop sign or red light like there dale Jr then call the truck junk when it quits. On top of that most people only post to forums when something tears up so all you see here is the bad. I'm a cummins guy usually but love this body and the king ranch. When I asked around about 6.4 the only guy that didn't bash them was the only guy that ever owned one. All the people I talked to who were anti 6.4 knew a guy who's cousin married a girl who's dads best friend has one and it sucked.lol. just my .02. If you buy a tight precision built engine then beat on it like it's a 22re then what do you expect.

strokinpower

Reaction score

You couldn't post this on the org earlier lol?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.