Buying a 6.4

Reaction score
hello everybody,
My name is will ive had an OBS for a couple years and put a lot of miles on it, shes getting old and im tired of not being comfortable in my own vehicle since I put a lot of miles on it.
More to the point I am currently looking at a 2008 job 1 CCLB powerstroke that has a CNS EGR **** and a 5 inch exhaust with a SCT tuner. It also has an 8 inch BDS lift with 37 inch yokohomas, which is way too big for me and they would come of as soon as I had the time to do so. Its a lariat and its very clean inside and out. Has about 128,000 miles and it runs great I test drove it today and stomped it on "postion 3" and the trans felt great. The guy says he never really beat on it and just used it for road trips and around town since he has a work truck. I believe him he seems to be very honest and straight forward. He has almost every receipt since he bought the truck (about 20k miles ago) down to oil and filters. He says he wants to buy a brand new 2016 while he still can because he doesn't like the 2017 body style.

The price we agreed on is 24,250, and I am looking for opinions from other people who have owned a 6.4. I understand that they can be unreliable, but i am not the person to really beat on things and I am very strict when it comes to maintenance. So what do you guys think about this truck? and how many miles do people generally get out of 6.4s?

sootie

Reaction score
unless you have a well padded wallet, i would avoid a six four. They make great power and are an awesome vehicle for an enthusiast who wants set records and is fully aware of the potential issues that may come up. inherent issues with pistons cracking, hpfp going out and taking out the entire fuel system, lifters failing and wiping out the cam and sending metal thru the whole engine...pretty much all of those failures mentioned can happen without warning and cost anywhere from 10-20k to fix. Im not even mentioning the small things that come up...sticking thermostats, leaking rads, cracked up pipes etc...

You would be better off finding a similar miled 6.7 that is a little lower trim level and enjoy long term reliability imo

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Short answer ^^ Yup i agree.

Long answer
Ask me how I know.

Bought my 08 with 94k on it and previous owner seemed like a straight shooter and took good care of the truck.. so i bought it for what i feel was a good price..
i drove it till 117k miles and bam she blew white smoke out the tail pipe like a Subaru driver at a vape competition.

Expecting the worst she sat till i had the money for a full rebuild and when torn down it was the famous cracked pistion..
I did not beat the truck and i put only the best parts and fluids I could afford into it... IE; amsoil and parts from site sponsors.
The best way i can describe a 6.4 is its a roll of the dice, some are great and some are complete crap.
I just got unlucky.
Someone said that when a 6.4 breaks it means it and typically costs thousands as where the 6.0 or now 6.7 its not so much that way....

Anyway good luck, hope it all works out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TheKingRanch

Reaction score
Paid 25,000 for my 08 job 1, and I've put almost that in the motor now. Its faster than most and sounds cool....but unless you know what you're getting into id suggest a 6.7.

Reaction score
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here, seems like most people online trash them but I talked to a good friend of mine who's a competent mechanic and he said that it could definitely go another 100k miles. And I personally talked to a guy with 320 on a completely stock 6.4 (with the exception of some emissions equipment).
So is the 6.7 that much of a better motor?

A lot of people are also telling me to go with a cummins, but I test drove a 2011 and was not a huge fan.

sootie

Reaction score
There are lots of trucks that make it out fine to 200k but we aren't ones to sugarcoat things on this forum. That friend of yours that made a statement like that hasent worked on enough trucks in his life...

Rams drive like poop and I wouldn't consider one.

Yes, the 6.7 is light years ahead of any six four. They are making power reliably to boot...

Reaction score
I'll second what Sootie and others have said. My last service truck was a 08 F550 with the Six Four. It ate 4 engines and was headed towards its 5th at 218k. The first 4 went down about every 30k until 125k when we d-leeted it. I'm not wealthy enough to afford that kind of carnage. At $20k apiece, that's a lot of dough. My new service truck is a 15 F550 with the Six Seven. Loving it so far. And as far as maintenance is concerned- I personally changed the oil and filter, fuel filters, and greased the truck every 5k. Used nothing but Motorcraft oil and filters.

patricku47

Reaction score
I've had a 6.4 and got back in a 6.0 as soon as I could. I would advise finding a clean, low miles 6.0 or stepping up to a 6.7 if budget allows.

6.4f350

Reaction score
6.4's are awesome, I love mine to death, but be prepared to lay out big cash when (not if) it breaks. When they break, they break big and nothing for them is cheap. I bent a rod last year and spent $15,000 in the engine getting it back together, albeit with some "upgraded" parts to try and prevent future troubles.

Price is a little high on that truck too (unless prices have stayed up, I haven't really kept up with the market), I bought my 08 CCLB with 112k for $27k at a Ford dealer 3 years ago.

wackyman9

Reaction score
I'm in a job 3 2008 CCSB 4x4. I bought it for $24.5 2 years ago this month with 97k on it. I'm now sitting at 130k with the hardware gone since 117k. The only thing I had go wrong with it so far (knock on wood) is the radiator and some of the front suspension components. The rad is a known weak spot, and the tie rods and drag arm were just wear and tear... I love my 6.4, I think I got a good deal. Just keep up on it and know your truck... but, and i stress but, if you can find a 12 or newer 6.7 I would definitely go that road any day over a 6.4 just based on reputation. I am a believer of the hit or miss theory with these things..

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

f350guy

Reaction score
I bought my truck new in 2009 and have maintained it like the prima donna it is... (well most new Diesel trucks are that) all recommended services at the dealer for no excuses warranty repairs and my own split at those for fuel filters and oil changes. Four gallons of Redline, oil filter, and fuel filters make my annual service about $260 with me doing it.

If that guy selling it takes great care of it, he will have stacks of records. Plain and simple. If there are no records, I would walk from it.

Not sure what causes the HPFP to poop on these, perhaps water and lack of filter services. I have seen some external lift pump setups with fuel bowl removed that prevent killing the injectors if the HPFP dies. Something to really consider adding. If I knew exactly which to recommend, I would tell you. This is probably my next upgrade, even before traction bars.

Lifters seem to die from fuel dilution of the oil best I can gather, due to regen and insufficient oil change intervals. A sponsor here sells upgraded ones.

Pistons are hit and miss. From readings it seems overheating them then rapid cooling helps them split, not always but seems to be a big cause. When I was running a 'Hot Street' tune from one of the tuners (dynos 525-550 I think) that got a bit toasty on the top end around 1500°F with stock turbochargers. Said screw it and went back to 'Street' that peaks around 1250°F, that is fine for me.

Under warranty I had an EGR cooler fail and an oil leak fixed. Something was with the HPFP, harness I think, would have to check records. Oh, and a belt tensioner **** the bed around 66k. I think that is about it. Factory shocks are garbage as is the factory Traclok.

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Lots of hate for the 6.4. Personally, I love mine and that is after going through a full rebuild.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, take it to a competent 6.4 tech, have him go over it with a fine tooth comb. Make sure he does a contribution/balance test. It'll be the best money you'll spend. If he gives the thumbs up, go for it.

Shafer171

Reaction score
I'll chime in. Bought my 08 job one four years ago with 95k on it bone stock and a very clean oasis report- very well taken care of one owner truck. Aa soon as I got it home I did the normal upgrades egr deeleete, exhaust, and ******* tuner. At 100k I broke a rocker arm and replaced the rockers. Did not have another issue until now and it is a big one, gonna be close to $15000. Pm me or check out my other thread for more details.

sootie

Reaction score
There isn't lots of "hate" on six fours...just people sharing experience. I put three motors in my truck in two years. Fact. Do I hate six fours? Not one bit! I still miss mine to this day. But....i wouldn't recommend it as a reliable vehicle to my worst enemy.

thuglike

Reaction score
Bought mine from a member on here(Settlemire) almost 4 years ago.
She has been flawless from day 1. Clean,crisp quiet and quick. I will agree with others though...if you can go 6.7 if you decide against the 6.4

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
There isn't lots of "hate" on six fours...just people sharing experience. I put three motors in my truck in two years. Fact. Do I hate six fours? Not one bit! I still miss mine to this day. But....i wouldn't recommend it as a reliable vehicle to my worst enemy.

Perhaps a poor choice of words. Like a lot of us on here, I have experienced failure. I had an injector stick and melted a piston. I tossed around the idea of going 6.7 or fix my 6.4. I chose fixing the 6.4. Once reliability mods are done, I think they can be a great motor. I've also heard about several 6.4's that are at 300k basically stock. I'm at 155k on the truck and 6k on the motor. Hoping to get 300k+ on the motor.

Reaction score
Well i bought it, currently waiting on the title from the bank. So i cant register it for the time being.Got it to my house and me and the ladyfriend washed it and cleaned it up pretty good today, gonna order a full service kit soon and a smaller lit since its on 37s with an 8 inch lift.

-Only problem ive caught onto so far is that it has a very slight miss at idle (or what I believe to be a miss). You have to really focus to hear it and the RPM's do not change at all, it doesn't "surge" like other 6.4s ive seen, its like it cuts out for a millisecond and doesn't do anything odd at all when you drive it down the road. anybody have any ideas?

-Also it has an sctx4 with rudys tunes, I was under the impression that the SCT had more options as far as what engine data you could see, but I was wrong. So does anybody have suggestions for good programmers with which you can really keep a good eye on your motor (boost, trans, pyro, etc)?

sootie

Reaction score
H&S is about the best going for all in one tuner. You could just buy a CTS and use it to monitor and keep the sct for tuning. I would greatly recommend gear head tuning.

wackyman9

Reaction score
I use the x4 for the extra gauges, it allows up to 8 pids to be monitored on 1 screen. H&s or spar-tan is where u would be looking as far as a tuner goes..

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.