Buying a 6.4

Reaction score
I use the x4 for the extra gauges, it allows up to 8 pids to be monitored on 1 screen. H&s or spar-tan is where u would be looking as far as a tuner goes..

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I currently have the x4 but I don't see egt, trans, boost. Can you change what is displayed?

Reaction score
H&S is about the best going for all in one tuner. You could just buy a CTS and use it to monitor and keep the sct for tuning. I would greatly recommend gear head tuning.

The cts will function fine with the sct x4? they won't interfere with each other?

wackyman9

Reaction score
I have my egt displayed, so I know it can read it. When I installed my deeleet pipe, I opted for the one with bungs and reinstalled all my exhaust sensors.. Does your pipe have the sensors reinstalled in bungs or just tucked up in the frame rail? I also have EOT, ECT, EBP, MAP, voltage, turbo boost and intake air temp. On the main menu of the tuner, it's under the "gauges and data log" tab. You can customize the screen by clicking on them one by one and setting them to read what you want. My x4 is a canned tuner though so I'm not sure if when they made it an "off-road tuner" they messed with that stuff... it reads it right through the obd2 port..

As far as the "miss" did you try another tune?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have my egt displayed, so I know it can read it. When I installed my deeleet pipe, I opted for the one with bungs and reinstalled all my exhaust sensors.. Does your pipe have the sensors reinstalled in bungs or just tucked up in the frame rail? I also have EOT, ECT, EBP, MAP, voltage, turbo boost and intake air temp. On the main menu of the tuner, it's under the "gauges and data log" tab. You can customize the screen by clicking on them one by one and setting them to read what you want. My x4 is a canned tuner though so I'm not sure if when they made it an "off-road tuner" they messed with that stuff... it reads it right through the obd2 port..

As far as the "miss" did you try another tune?

This truck has a 5 inch straight pipe and to my knowledge it doe not have bungs in it. I will crawl under and check tomorrow, but I can use factory wiring for egt if I weld a Bung into the exhaust?

Also I have not tried another tune, it's currently on a 250 "daily"tune or something like that from Rudys. It has a 50 hp tow tune which I think I'm gonna switch to permanently because I Imagine it is easier on the truck over all? Any input from anybody would be appreciated about which tune is the best for longevity?

Also thanks for the reply!

wackyman9

Reaction score
I haven't added any wiring or sensors, I just used what was there. If you get bungs then all you should simply need to do is plug the sensors back into the wire harness under the truck and screw them into the bungs.. the sensors I reinstalled were the 3 involved with the filter.

Reaction score
Okay I will definitely be looking into this today, and is that an acceptable place to measure egt? On my obs everybody said to put the probe on the up pipes?

Reaction score
So this morning I set the truck to the lowest hp and tq tune it has. The exhaust has become a little deeper and kind of sounds like a 7.3 (less hair dryer noise). The slight "miss" is not as frequent or easy to recognize but it is still there.
Also I noticed that at idle the RPMs fluctuate slighlty, if you really stare at the needle you can see it moving maybe 100 RPM, truck runs smooth and does not shake or anything, it acts nothing like the 6.4s ive seen on youtube with the surging idle problem where the idle is so rough it sounds like its going to blow up...

-anybody have any ideas? and am i making a bigger deal out of this stuff than it really is?

Black AOD

Reaction score
I'd give my thoughts on a 6.4 If Ron hadn't already done so LOL. Plus I can't speak for my 6.4 being good to me...it basically said **** you 3 times in a row lol

OP get a 6.7 and be done.

wackyman9

Reaction score
If your plugging into the OEM harness with an OEM sensor, you may be limited on wire length to make it to the up pipes.. the factory location is pretty much at the front of the passenger door..

sootie

Reaction score
If your plugging into the OEM harness with an OEM sensor, you may be limited on wire length to make it to the up pipes.. the factory location is pretty much at the front of the passenger door..

If you want to monitor egts, you need to do it pre turbo if you want accuracy. The six fours have a factory probe in the passenger side up pipe and it is a selectable pid on most tuners...

reading an egt probe from the exhaust pipe would be worse than useless.

wackyman9

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that sootie, I was wondering if there was a more accurate sensor up stream.. I assumed the sensors associated with the filter were more for pressure readings..

wackyman9

Reaction score
I have the same, 3 options. Egt 1 always had the hottest reading on mine..

fce67b45ca0e4f5c0fd6bede46282c84.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Someone is going to make alot of Money doing cummins swaps in 6.4 bodies. Thats all I'll say...

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Someone is going to make alot of Money doing cummins swaps in 6.4 bodies. Thats all I'll say...
I don't know much but when i was debating on what to do with my motor rebuild i looked into a cummins swap..
I found that it was a pretty exspensive ordeal.
Yes there iscompanies who sell the kits for the 6.7 swap or possibly others but i foind5that for 15k (estimate) i could get the swap but would then just have a stock cummins in my ford.
For some this might be perfect but to me they have problems also.
So i figured id just put that money at the 6.4 motor and attempt to fix the things ford could or choose not to..
I also found woth my little research that unless you find the perfect buyer it hurt more then helped the value of the trucks resale.
So i stuck with the 6.4 in hopes that i could do it right one time and be happy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online