Buzzing Transmission Solenoid

jetskier

Reaction score
This is a weird one. When I first installed the Minimax, I didn't tune the transmission. I only ran the DFP-on tunes. I decided to give it a try the canned H&S trans tuning to see how it felt compared to stock. It definitely firmer and shifts harder than I like. Here's the issue, when the engine is off and the parking lights come on, the transmission has a momentary buzz like a solenoid activating for a second. So every time I open the door, unlock the doors using the key fob, or simply turn the headlight switch to parking lights, it will buzz for a second. Then there is a 15-30 second wait time before it will do it again using the same triggers. If I return the truck to stock, no buzz.

I called H&S and they said they've heard of it and the engineers are working on it. But no timelines or level of priority. They say it has only been the '13 and '14s.

Does anyone with a '13 or '14 with the transmission tuned noticed this? I'm just curious to see if there is a calibration out there that doesn't do it.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I noticed this too but it seems to be coming from somewhere underneath the hood I believe. I haven't really looked into this too much but it drives me nuts too haha. I am going to take a closer look at where its coming from since I have the same buzzing noise too about 15-30 Seconds apart for a while. I have heard others on the forum mention this issue as well, I'm surprised you haven't had any other responses yet to be honest.

Try Gearhead tuning. They have the best transmission tuning on the market and their tunes work so much better than the h&s canned tunes. My transmission shifts as smooth or smoother than an Allision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jetskier

Reaction score
I noticed this too but it seems to be coming from somewhere underneath the hood I believe. I haven't really looked into this too much but it drives me nuts too haha. I am going to take a closer look at where its coming from since I have the same buzzing noise too about 15-30 Seconds apart for a while. I have heard others on the forum mention this issue as well, I'm surprised you haven't had any other responses yet to be honest.

Try Gearhead tuning. They have the best transmission tuning on the market and their tunes work so much better than the h&s canned tunes. My transmission shifts as smooth or smoother than an Allision.

To test it, grab your key fob and a creeper. Park your ear near the transmission pan and click unlock. You'll hear it right in the pan area like a solenoid is engaging.

I do have Gearhead tunes and you're right they are awesome. There is a quirk in the 3-4 upshift at heavy throttle, but I haven't noticed it in a while. Matt made an adjustment that seemed to soften it a bit. The tune in the Gearhead's stock position is clean and seems to be at least as powerful as the H&S canned street tune without all the smoke. His street and performance tunes are strong, but smoke a little too much at 5000ft elevation.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Haha yeah 5000ft will change things for sure! That's hilarious as I had the same issue with 3-4 @ WOT but got the updated trans file just today actually and now shifts way better. I will be home in a few days and will check that out with my creeper at the transmission. I keep my truck in the tow setting as I tend to have too much fun in street or performance haha. I'm at 3000ft though...

jetskier

Reaction score
I also had him adjust the 5-4 downshift at low throttle. It would jerk shift to 4th if you were coasting/slowing in 5th around 35-37mph then lightly hit the accelerator. I had him fix it around the first of August.

Latest posts

Members online