Cab on turbo removal/install

riemer

Reaction score
I'm stuck trying to pull the stock atmosphere turbo out of my 6.4. I have the DP disconnected, hold downs removed and U pipe pushed out of the way. I can't get the atmo turbo to come off of the oil drain. I have pryed it pretty firmly it just doesn't quite feel right. Anyone have any advise for a rookie in a pinch?

riemer

Reaction score
Update seperated the housing and got it half way out.
null-1.jpg

null.jpg

I want to get the other half out because I don't trust my self aligning it with out bending a vein.

6.4psd916

Reaction score
Do you have the up pipes disconnected? If so you still need to get the vgt off its base to get them apart. Get he them back together then drop them down on the dowel pins and drains.

riemer

Reaction score
Haven't unbolted the up pipes. I was told I didn't need too. It looks super tight back there too.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to line up the drain and the put the turbo into the exhaust housing either.

BTW I kinked the flex joint while removing the pipe. Should I replace the "Y" assembly?
null-4.jpg

Last edited:

6.4psd916

Reaction score
The turbo feed tube is easy enough pull out I always do, then its out of your way. With the kink, I would replace it. From my efforts is swapping turbos, the up-pipes need to be unbolted, I did not see any way around it. I don't think there is enough wiggle room to get it all back together. Unbolting the up pipes is no fun the first time. The two in the bottom middle are the worst, but a 3/8 drive flex head ratchet with a 3" extension and 6 point 10mm deep socket.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Dont worry about the oil feed hose. I kinked both of mine too and the oil pressure will re-inflate it. The turbo will go in without having to undo the uppipes. Just finesse it in.

riemer

Reaction score
Got it all back together! The biggest hurdle was my lack of knowledge.
My notes to any other newbies.
Leave the LP exhaust housing in place. Pry up on the HP turbo base and rotate atmo turbo into place. Pry up on LP exhaust housing slightly. It's pretty simple it comes down to knowing where to pry.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life for some help. Trying to install just the atmo turbo on my buddies truck. I have un-done the down-pipe, hold down clamps, and gotten the head shields and oil lines out of the way. To swap just the atmo, should I undo anything else? I have read Whitemonsters tips on doing just the atmo and I believe I am at that point I just don't want to break anything.

Diesel23

Reaction score
If you only do this once or so your oil feed should be fine , i just did cab on turbo removal 3 times in the last 5 days LOL i did leave my oil feed line in and must have hit it with the turbo so it developed a pretty good leak now i need to replace it

Mpoage

Reaction score
Honestly If it were me doing it I would just pull the turbos out as one. Take the degas bottle out, remove the fuel cooler with the elbow, loosen the drive side up pipe and egr pipe at at the bottom if it is still on the vehicle. When loosening everything behind the turbos do the egr pipe first and push it back, take the drivers side up-pipe loose first then the other. I can have the turbos off the truck in about an hour and a half, it's really not as hard as people make it out to be.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies! Mpoage, the EGR is still on the vehicle. I was really hoping this would be more straight forward with just the atmosphere being worked on, but it will definitely get done! haha.

Latest posts

Members online