Camshaft removal

vcassens

Reaction score
Does the crank have to be removed to get the camshaft out our can the adapter be removed from the crank

Sent from a bus 6 feet in the air

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
its not supposed to be taken off. its a balanced assembly.

Wayne

Reaction score
Bolts are torque to yield. Identical to harmonic balancer bolts. 50 ft lbs, then 90*. Use a dial indicator to make sure it's perfectly centered. Also orientation is critical, but it's been done many times.

vcassens

Reaction score
Thanks for the info it just reassured me this motor is done for because the guy working on it will not take the time to do it correctly. I work for a public transportation company and this van came in 4 months ago popping through the intake. I told the boss then it was more than likely a lifter and instead of diagnosing it correctly they pulled the motor and tore the top end of and watched the lifters as they rolled the motor and since they all moved they where fine. Put out together with new seals and gaskets and all be damned it still pops lol. Second tear down they finally remove the lifters and find a roller messing. At this point tt they could have put a new ford re man long block in it.

RedLine

Reaction score
Have them take it to someone else.. And like others have said, just make sure it goes back on the same way it came off. I have done this plenty of times with zero issues as well.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
You aren't really saving anything by pulling that adapter in a van. You've already got the heads off so you've got the motor out. Take the bed plate off and let the crank slide down from the block until it clears the cam gear. Roll some bearings in it and reassemble. Pm me regarding the lifters. I learned something interesting about them lately.

vcassens

Reaction score
Have them take it to someone else.. And like others have said, just make sure it goes back on the same way it came off. I have done this plenty of times with zero issues as well.

Taking it somewhere else is not an option I am also a mechanic the guy working on it had been hear longer than me so won't listen to me no the boss is pissed because I had it correct since the day it came in and he didn't even check the lifters

Latest posts

Members online