Can't clear EGR code!?!?!?

truckmaniac

Reaction score
I returned my 2013 F350 back to "Stock" today after running with a Mini-Maxx, DPF delete and EGR delete (block-off plates) for a few months.

Everything went back together just fine but when I ran a diagnostics, I get a double-message: P042E - EGR Control Stuck Open.

I double checked all of the EGR connections that were disconnected when I deleted the EGR to be sure they were connected properly but still get the same P042E code. I've cleared the codes half a dozen times but they pop-up every time I start the truck.

Any ideas what could be causing this? The truck only has 7,500 miles on it.

Thanks!

truckmaniac

Reaction score
The egr valve is fried, you'll have to swap a new one in. Thats why they say to unplug it after tuning it.

I did the DPF delete, EGR delete plates and installed the Mini-maxx all at the same time.

I unplugged the EGR valve (orange) connector located on top of the cooler and the EGR butterfly valve (orange) connector located under the air intake prior to downloading the tuning and running my truck, so I don't know how it could be fried.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Not sure but thats 110% the issue. We set one back to stock for a customer a few months ago and it had the same issue. Old EGR valve wouldn't even rotate.

truckmaniac

Reaction score
Sounds like it will be headed to the Ford Dealership for a little warranty work.

Will it hurt anything for me to drive the truck for a few days in it's current condition?

truckmaniac

Reaction score
Just to be perfectly clear: We're talking about the EGR valve mounted on the cooler and not the EGR butterfly/throttle valve?

I haven't removed removed an EGR valve on a 6.7 but have done a few on the 6.4.

It looks pretty easy.

Do you think it's worth the time and effort to remove it and check it out, or just should I just take it to the Ford House and let them deal with it?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Yeah the EGR valve on the cooler. Takes 30 min to swap out. Basically the whole end of the EGR cooler with valve is removed and replaced.

You'll need some coolant too, you'll need to drain some out of the system to keep from making a mess.

sagebel

Reaction score
Wait until the light shows up and take it to the dealer. If you are still under warranty it shouldn't be an issue. I had the same thing happen on my '11 when I returned it to stock.

truckmaniac

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'm still under warranty, so I'll wait tell the light comes on and let the dealer handle it.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
The valve it self is not bad the egr tables need to be cleared for it to work properly again...If you don't have ids you will need to take it to the dealer and have them rest the egr tables

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

truckmaniac

Reaction score
The valve it self is not bad the egr tables need to be cleared for it to work properly again...If you don't have ids you will need to take it to the dealer and have them rest the egr tables

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

So the Mini-Maxx won't reset the tables, it just clears the Trouble Code?

nick0360

Reaction score
ok all im seeing is this code show up after returning to stock< in my case i tuned it last night and drove 40 miles today before the light came on and then i unplugged the valve and butterfly valve still have light whats the reason? im not deleted yet and dpf is still in there

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
what tunes are on it ? if they aren't off road you cant unplug the sensors.