Castastrophic oil cooler ruptured!!? and egr cooler

junglejoe

Reaction score
Ok folks,, Got a serious situation here! Just got back froma 250 mile trip, truck was and IS running great. I had planned on doing the oil cooler this coming weekend because of 45 degree deltas. But anyway, got back home and checked everything, pulled the degas bottle cap off and DAMN!!! Black oil in there, like black coffee!! real runny too! Doesn't smell like fuel... Where is everyone getting the upgraded OEM oil coolers from? Need it here by Friday.. This is probably a dumb question, but will it hurt to drive around town until this weekend?

thatred250

Reaction score
Go to your local ford Dealer and get a oil cooler kit. If you havent done put the updated stc fitting in its a good time to do it as well. Feel all the coolant hose and check to make sure none of them are incredible soft. Park it till you fix it. Id recommend pulling out the thermostat and and preform multiple flushes and drives after you intsall the new cooler. You will never get all the oil out but more the better.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Sure it will drive around fine until enough oil is pumped out of the system that it won't build ICP.... But I don't think it would really damage anything more than it already is.

junglejoe

Reaction score
So basically don't drive it I guess is what you guys are saying, last thing I want to do is destroy a simple fix. here is what the degas bottle looks like and whats in it...

Attachments

• )()()())(((((((.jpg
    )()()())(((((((.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 142
  • )()()()(()()()(.jpg
    )()()()(()()()(.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 138

pdumont01

Reaction score
Unhook the bottom hose on the degas bottle before you drain it, that will keep all the oil in the bottle from going back in to the system. I always just let the bottom hose loose too instead of using the petcock. After repair use a cup of dawn dish soap and straight water flush it a few times like that and it should be fine.

webb06

Reaction score
So basically don't drive it I guess is what you guys are saying, last thing I want to do is destroy a simple fix. here is what the degas bottle looks like and whats in it...

At least it doesn't look like a milkshake yet. That's when it gets hard to clean out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
After you fix it flush it out several times putting about 1/2 gallon of simple green in with water to top it.off. i usually run about 2 gallons of simple green yhrough on each truck that comes in like that. And if you decide to re hose it, which i would highly recommend, do it before you change the hoses.

junglejoe

Reaction score
It has the milkshake in it already from when previous owner had ford do an egr and oil cooler, They did NOT clean it out. Now, I have to deal with it.I just replaced the radiator and degas bottle not even 2000 miles ago and flushed and flushed and flushed before I changed them. Now this chit!
One of the hoses under the degas bottle was almost completely clogged with gunk from the previous oil cooler failure.
It must have ruptured not far from the house being its just black oil? Oil temps stayed at 225ish most of the way while coolant tempos was 175ish

One other thing, should I just weld up the ends of the egr cooler? or just put another new one in or ?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If tge egr cooler aint bliwn i would weld it up. If its blown, id find one thats nit blown and weld it up or make it go away completely.

junglejoe

Reaction score
Got it apart.. wasn't to bad.. just hop it goes back just as easy!!

Attachments

• 20160125_144804.jpg
    20160125_144804.jpg
    908.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20160125_144747.jpg
    20160125_144747.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 20160125_135215.jpg
    20160125_135215.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97

junglejoe

Reaction score
I got the oil cooler separated from the housing, How do you tell if its ruptured? I don't see any visible cracks or anything..? Just trying to figure out why and how that much oil got in the degas bottle.
Also, is there a way to tell if the egr cooler is good or bad? I'm going to have it welded anyway, so does it matter?

So once I get the oil cooler, is there ANYTHING else I need to get? Intake gaskets? O-rings? Brand new to this, so that's why I'm asking questions.

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
I got the oil cooler separated from the housing, How do you tell if its ruptured? I don't see any visible cracks or anything..? Just trying to figure out why and how that much oil got in the degas bottle.

Also, is there a way to tell if the egr cooler is good or bad? I'm going to have it welded anyway, so does it matter?

So once I get the oil cooler, is there ANYTHING else I need to get? Intake gaskets? O-rings? Brand new to this, so that's why I'm asking questions.

If there's coolant or wetness in the egr cooler on the exhaust side then it's ruptured.

You won't be able to see where the oil cooler is ruptured, its internal.

I'd get an intake gasket kit from Oreilly's. It'll include some extra gaskets we like to replace. The big o ring on the front cover is only available in an expensive kit from ford. It's included in the Oreilly intake gasket kit. You might want to get a turbo install kit from ford.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The ford stuff aint too terribly priced but is probably a bunch more than oreillys. I think the intake gaskets are 110 for the pair, and the egr cooler gasket/turbo hardware combo bag is about 100. I am always very hesitant going with aftermarket, as ive been ***ked too many times, but thats just my opinion...

junglejoe

Reaction score
Anyone on here use that remote mount oil cooler kit? I think now would be the time to install it versus tearing the engine apart again.. Because I'm sure the oil cooler will clog up again

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Im not a fan personally. A factory cooler and a coolant filter will be reliable as long as you keep up on maintenance without yhe added headaches of extra stuff in yhe engine compartment to get damaged, or leak, or extra heat sources up front. Thi is just my opinion again though.... Plus they are rather pricey. But yes, if you were gonna do it, now would be the time.

junglejoe

Reaction score
If there's coolant or wetness in the egr cooler on the exhaust side then it's ruptured.

You won't be able to see where the oil cooler is ruptured, its internal.

I'd get an intake gasket kit from Oreilly's. It'll include some extra gaskets we like to replace. The big o ring on the front cover is only available in an expensive kit from ford. It's included in the Oreilly intake gasket kit. You might want to get a turbo install kit from ford.

What is the turbo install kit? I'm glad I asked because This could have been a huge mistake on my part.. I thought you just reuse all the old stuff, except the oil cooler gaskets.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online