CCV Pressure

Dzchey21

Reaction score
On another note mine isn't baffled that well because mine is just stuck in the oil fill not using much baffling other than hieght above the valve cover. I get no drip out of it but I also don't have a catch can.

I did notice eriks smell from the vent was pretty strong. Way more than I have ever noticed from mine. A new motor should be pretty much tight so I'm pointing fingers at not vented for right now.

Wayne let me know how the exhaust venturi works that's what I really want to do in my down pipe because it would be a short hose and clean... Wayne get on it!

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I have a single 1" line for mine. With stock fuel and the 71mm atmosphere, will a single 1" line be sufficient? I get a steady white haze from mine, but it has yet to push any oil out. It's been on the truck for probably 6,000 miles.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I did notice eriks smell from the vent was pretty strong. Way more than I have ever noticed from mine. A new motor should be pretty much tight so I'm pointing fingers at not vented for right now.

Until the rings seat in its gonna be worse, and that could take thousands of miles.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Until the rings seat in its gonna be worse, and that could take thousands of miles.

It has close to 2,000 now. Hopefully it seats and stops
This is how it looked after 700 miles last night.

IMG_20111230_182104.jpg

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
Is there any vertical portion to the breather tubes close to the engine?

I sometimes add a loop to the hoses to help prevent the oil itself from running into the can.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Erik that's just Rust protection...

what would be the ideal material to use as a baffle in a set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

907DAVE

Reaction score
You could tack weld a simple baffle to the bottom of the valve cover, if there is room.

BFT

Reaction score
I think for the bigger HP guys there has to be more venting. Tapping the driver side valve cover maybe? I was changing the 4" boot and clamps and was checking it out and there is quite a bit of room to add a 1" line.

FWIW, my old race car had 3 1" vents for and it was pushing 700+. It had to be vented in a catch can per NHRA and IDRC rules.

HD F250

Reaction score
I sometimes add a loop to the hoses to help prevent the oil itself from running into the can.

I have seen this done in a few applications and I would like to see if it will work on our CCV's. I would think it would take a lot of pressure to force the oil up an incline tubing. How much pressure are in these vents? I also don't want oil all over my truck so I would really like to figure this out while my truck is under the knife.

fluid

Reaction score
how can we measure it? i know the pressure is barely positive, id love to get a reading on it. any ideas?

A digital manometer is a good way to measure it using a 1/4" barbed reference port and tubing. I was thinking of using my dashdaq and a phidget (differential gas pressure sensor) , same reference port and tubing required but now a constant signal to monitor.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
I've had our CCV on for over a year and seems to work fine, maybe a few drops every couple of weeks come out of it and its dumped under the frame to the atmosphere, frame also seems to remain pretty clean

White_monster

Reaction score
I have ran the same 1" hose with stocker turbos a tow powers and no oil puking. My CCV went to atmosphere. My vent does haze a bit but it's done the same for 2.5yrs

CamTom12

Reaction score
I've seen "baffling" as simple as steel wool in a can for vented CCV systems. All you need is something to allow the oil vapor to condense and accumulate on. The top of the cans had some sort of vent and the bottoms had a drainplug. Pretty common homebuilt design.

Also very interested in the exhaust venting experiment. If I had more time and a heated shop I'd run out and set it up on mine just to see what it could pull.

Zero to .15psi seems pretty optimal unless you've sealed your engine differently. That article about rear main seal designs is spot-on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.