CCV ran into exhaust question

griz700rocket

Reaction score
CCV mod is on my to do list and would like to open air it but my girl will complain about the smoke/smell I'm sure. So I'm looking for any info about dumping it into the exhaust. Having it dump into the exhaust would hopefully blow the smell away from the truck and also if correctly designed keep a slight vacuum on the CCV like it has when ran into the intake. This should help with oil leaks that have been reported when dumping directly to atmosphere.

I have a DPF/Cat delete pipe sitting in the shop waiting on my tuner to arrive and I'm thinking this would be a great time to weld a bung into it to connect the CCV to.

On my dad's 7.3 we have it ran to the back bumper and dumped to atmosphere and if this works on my 6.4 he's wanting to do the same as the haze coming from it get's a lot of looks when you're tooling around town.

I've found a few pictures of this online but I'm looking for details on size of bung, angle of bung and any other specifics to keep a slight vacuum on the CCV. Thanks in advance.

78f100

Reaction score
I did mine with a 5/8 galvanized pipe into the exhaust I have tried dif lengths but always seem to have positive pressure on it. So I just having to atmosphere until I figure it out. I think angle of the bung will change it, look in Eric's dpc build thread. Wayne posted some pics of the bungs they used, I am gonna try something similar on mine.

skobiak

Reaction score
I ran my hose along the frame to the rear axle and it exits just in front of the shock on the inside of the frame rail. You can only see the smoke if you look for it....no smell. I ran it in an upward direction just off the oil fill so any oil will just flow back down. Gonna try to get some pics. I used 10' of 1" ID heater hose. (kinda spendy) I was worried about smell and smoke and was thinking about the exhaust bung trick, but I am afraid of causing damage.

simonton6.4

Reaction score
Is it possible to pull to much vacuum? If so what could happen if you do pull to much? Also say something happened to the fittings and it began to push exhaust back up what's the worse that could happen a oil leak or are we talking about eating up some turbos or more?

Term3

Reaction score
A bud has his CCV going into his exhaust using stainless steel tubing entering the exhaust pipe at a 45 and with the end cut at a 45. Very little vacuum is produced even at higher rpm's and if the hose going to it has any kind of a low spot which collects liquid or if it frosts up in cold weather your going to blow turbo and crank seals which to me not worth the risk. For my CCV system I just bought a larger Raycor CCV canister which knocks out pretty much all the oil vapor.

simonton6.4

Reaction score
Might be a stupid and obvious question but Looking at that moroso kit is says cannot be ran with a vehicle with a muffler I was wanting to run mine at the delete pipe just for ease of take off and putting back on for welding but was wondering why it can't be ran with a muffler

simonton6.4

Reaction score
The moroso kit has one way checks in it
That's not a bad thought I was kinda thinking that it wouldn't be pulling a vacuum with a muffler in place?

mandkole

Reaction score
When I was hot after this, I did a lot of googling on the topic. Airflow from a turbo driven exhaust has been found to be far different from a gasser exhaust pulse thats emptying into atmosphere. (and somehow this is also different from the mass airflow going across the CCV port in the intake.)

I don't know if Im explaining it correctly, but it was said the high exhaust flow velocity can actually block CCV flow due to it creating a low pressure area at the bung depending on airflow speed. Ive had discussions with heavy truck OEM engineering guys and, in so many words, they said the same thing. Although they've tried dumping the CCV to the air intake and using a separator, a draft tube to atmo is still what the OEM guys are doing.

Spend time reading on this-- if I do anything, it will be the racor filter/separator, but Im planning nothing at the moment.

Term3

Reaction score
I don't know if Im explaining it correctly, but it was said the high exhaust flow velocity can actually block CCV flow due to it creating a low pressure area at the bung depending on airflow speed.

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. If its creating a low pressure area at the bung how the heck is it creating back pressure to block the CCV flow?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370708758.173854.jpg

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
it has to do with how or if the pipe is protruding into the exhaust.

if you get the right kind of turbulence around the end of the ccv pipe, it will create a, for lack of a better term, "stale area" at the tip of a pipe.

think of when water flows around a rock in a river. the water sort of has to flow backwards to fill the void that the rock created.

when the exhaust flow does this, while it might not create a vacuum or positive pressure in the ccv line, it can "plug it" with that backwards flow.

this is why angle of the pipe, protrusion, angle, etc etc is absolutely important when putting that pipe into the exhaust.

B585Ford

Reaction score
it has to do with how or if the pipe is protruding into the exhaust.

if you get the right kind of turbulence around the end of the ccv pipe, it will create a, for lack of a better term, "stale area" at the tip of a pipe.

think of when water flows around a rock in a river. the water sort of has to flow backwards to fill the void that the rock created.

when the exhaust flow does this, while it might not create a vacuum or positive pressure in the ccv line, it can "plug it" with that backwards flow.

this is why angle of the pipe, protrusion, angle, etc etc is absolutely important when putting that pipe into the exhaust.

:whs:

Latest posts

Members online