Changing out the block heater?

Bullzeye

Reaction score
I have to change out the block heater, one thought I have is using the shop vac to pull vacuum on the degas at the actual moment of dropping out the old and getting the new back in the hole. The coolant is new about 300 miles ago.
Open for all the suggestions I can get...

Later

rentstdi

Reaction score
Um what is the shop vac going to do?

Just drain it in a clean container then refill

webb06

Reaction score
I have to change out the block heater, one thought I have is using the shop vac to pull vacuum on the degas at the actual moment of dropping out the old and getting the new back in the hole. The coolant is new about 300 miles ago.

Open for all the suggestions I can get...

Later

Never thought of doing that, it might be worth a shot but you also might get drenched if it fails haha

Um what is the shop vac going to do?

Just drain it in a clean container then refill

If the vacuum has enough force it'll suspend the coolant from coming out when the block heater is pulled. Like I said it may or may not work but is it worth the risk of getting soaked and losing a lot of coolant? Probably not

Bullzeye

Reaction score
I watched Jiffy lube do it on the truck after they had changed the oil and forgot to put the crush gasket on... They stuck the hose in the filler port and turned the vacuum on and pulled the drain plug and added the new crush gasket and re-installed it. Might have lost a tea cup for oil...
I was thinking that it work work the same for the coolant system.
My biggest concern is getting all the air out of the system afterwards, as to not have the air bubbles around the front plate and water pump...

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Should work, I would just be worried of sucking the coolant into the shop vac.
Dont know what coolant weighs but water say from the Degas to the pan is 3.5'.
1.5 PSI at the pan. I am sure the shop vac has more suction than that.
I wouldnt worry about air bubbles, be the same as draining and refilling the system.
I would try it but have a pan under just in case the shop vac starts taking on coolant you can shut it off.

Latest posts

Members online