Charge Wire on Trailer Plug?

bigwheel

Reaction score
I am wondering what the volts should be to the trailer plug aux charge wire?

The truck is a 2000 and we haul a truck camper on it and trying to figure out if the truck is sending a enough power back to charge the batteries while the truck is running.

Thanks

mandkole

Reaction score
you definitely need a dedicated wire that supports aux battery charge. The factory wire gauge is not up to the task with single batteries, let alone duals. On the OBS, I just took the factory wire offline and ran keyed battery power thru a relay, over a 8-10 gauge wire to the factory location on the socket at the hitch. Talk to an RV or hitch dealer also as they will have ideas.

CGMKCM

Reaction score
Does your'e slide in have a 12vdc refrigerator, and are you trying to run the refrigerator when going down the road? I had a Lance slide in and had no problem maintaining the batteries , going down the road as long as I did not put the refrigerator on 12vdc.

I think Ford increased the charging wire gauge when they introduced the Super Duty lineup. My 01 does a better job of maintaining my TT batteries then my 92 did.

bigwheel

Reaction score
Yes it is a slide in. The frig runs on propane when travling down the road. The camper has 2 6volts which is about 4 time the size of the battery that came with the camper. I think I am either going to run a aux charge system or add solar.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.