Check engine light, od light flashes, loss of power

99powerstroke

Reaction score
I have a buddy that has an early 99' f250 with full 4" turbo back exhaust, afe intake, rebuilt auto trans and dp tuner f5 with nothing over 100 hp tune. He was pulling his boat from Indy to tennessee and looked down and noticed his od light was flashing and he lost power for a bit and then it would come back. Then his check engine light came on and stayed on.. Now he said the engine sounds lopy like it is romping like it's cold starting in freezing weather. He also said it revs up around 900-1000 rpms... He said it feels as though it doesn't have the power that it usually does. The chip was just sent back and had new tunes and cord put on it.. He never has a problem with it driving around town just now when he gets on the high way for a period of time.... Just didn't know if anyone had any ideas....

Thanks

99powerstroke

Reaction score
He took it to a ford dealer in Tennessee and they said he had 11 codes showing but none of the things the codes said was bad were bad.. They said it is probably his computer gone bad and also said they have had a lot of problems with aftermarket chips burning up the computers which I don't believe... So I guess he has to order a computer from what the dealership told him

Arisley

Reaction score
Did he get a print out from the dealer listing the codes. A PCM is usually either bad or not bad. If he has a list of the codes, let us know what they were. I bet we could find the problem.

99powerstroke

Reaction score
They didn't give him the printout.... I can ask him to go back and get it... Also he said they kept mentioning voltage problems and as one mechanic pulled it around and it was running really rough he tapped the side of the PCM and all of a sudden it started to run little better but not the same as before...

Arisley

Reaction score
Check the connection to the PCM. Check the grounds. Check the single wire connection to the Alternator, check your battery connections. Unplug everything, especially the PCM and the 42 pin connector on the driver side valve cover, blow the connections out with air, spray some contact cleaner on it and plug it back up. Check the connector on the outside of the valve cover gasket(inside edge in the center). There is also connections just like it under the valve cover, check those and where the wires plug in to the injectors.

Most important, get a printout of the codes. Where is your buddy located, there may be a member close by that can pull codes for him.

99powerstroke

Reaction score
He is on the very south end of dale hollow lake... He said he is going to go check all the connections and clean them as well

TyCorr

Reaction score
These guys are trying to.help you! Make sure your buddy isnt.getting.screwed.

99powerstroke

Reaction score
He went into town and bought a new alternator and installed it but same problem so that auto shop gave his old back with no charge

99powerstroke

Reaction score
Thanks again guys... He is still tracing wiring harnesses and seeing what he can come up with... It will probably be something loose that he is over looking..lol

BLK01

Reaction score
it may be a long shot, but last week i had a similar problem....i would go to start the truck and everything would be fine while i was waiting for the glow plugs, then when i went to turn it over i would loose all power...i would just un hook the battery and rehook it and it would run fine for a few days, then it started acting like the tranny was slipping and my radio went off, the O/D light was flashing and when i would put it in neutral or park it would rev up for a sec then back down to normal idling. my dad who has been driving a international since he was 18 came outside and told me to check my grounds and sure enough they were loose, i put new ground wires to the batterys and new ends and it hasn't done it since.....i hope your buddy finds out what the problem is

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.