Checking for cracked pipe or boot

tx_oft

Reaction score
Just got the truck back from the shop for studs, gaskets, egr delete, rocker arms, lifters, heads, and valves. Had an oil leak from where the filler neck meets the valve cover. Fixed that yesterday with some RTV. Went to the drug store earlier this evening and when I pulled out of the parking lot and accelerated at 3/4 throttle I heard a pop sound, as in pressure blowing something apart or off. Almost positive its turbo related. At an idle the truck almost sounds as if its loping really hard and the noise is the loudest when i put my ear close to the air filter. I looked briefly for something obvious but didnt find anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as im planning to try and tackle this tomorrow.

webb06

Reaction score
Check the lower intercooler hose on the drivers side. Roughly right in front of the drivers side tire. Was it really low on power the rest of the way home?

tx_oft

Reaction score
I was really easy on it after it happened so I'm not sure about the power or boost. That's the only place I didn't check last night so hopefully that's where it is. Could I have possibly cracked a piston?

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet you blew a boot. Not a big deal, but take some brake clean and make sure the boost are really clean as well as the pipes where the boots go. Spray some brake clean on them and then blow off with compressed air. Works everytime bud.

tx_oft

Reaction score
Checked all the boots and pipes and found nothing. Pulled the oil filler cap and it has tons of blow by. I'm thinking a broken rocker arm, or something exhaust valve related. It builds boost like normal but sounds as if it has a terrible miss.

Honestly, I'm ready to put a match to it. It's been in the shop for 75-80 days, I've spent $5300 on it, and this makes the second time I have gotten it back and it breaks 1-3 days later.

Rsvrrider

Reaction score
Did you ever get this fixed? Mine did the same thing last night. Still builds boost, but the gauge sweep is a little lazy. Like the OP said, there's an exhaust sound coming from the air filter. Also the exhaust is louder in cab and resonates now

Latest posts

Members online