Chelsea's Excursion and cold start issues...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Getting some issues on the Excursion that I need to fix...

New Glow plugs about 10k ago, New AC injectors 10k ago.

New GPR and top of motor harness as well as a swap to a NVK PCM. Tuning on the chip right now from DI is an NMM set up.

AFE intake, Filter needs cleaned but its not "BAD"...

Factory fuel system, new fuel filter, no fuel pressure issues (in cab gauge)...

38R with a 1.15 housing. Was on my truck for about 30k, then on the Excursion for 80k or so... It has always leaked a little oil past the exhaust side.

I need to hook up her oil pressure gauge but it has not ICP issues that I can tell, it does run very low ICP pressures at idle and such but the duty cycle is also low...

Going to have her plug it in tonight and see if the smoke goes away.

Once warm its fine, but its bad in the morning when she starts it to warm up. Didnt seem to be much of an issue before the new baby because she didnt warm it up much for the older kiddo's.

Tom S

Reaction score
Same tuning as it was where it did not smoke excessively?

dave186

Reaction score
been having a similar issue with my truck and havent been able to track it down. I get a bunch of grey/white smoke at start up for about 10 seconds then its gone completely. Plug it in over night and no smoke at all. I have ruled out tuning and hpop problems, replaced glow plugs, relay and harnesses. I dont want to believe its my injectors since they only have 20k on them.

Denver

Reaction score
I don't know much about cold starts but could it be related to the batteries? If the batteries are not at full voltage and the GPR switches on then it seems like the GP's wouldn't have enough power to heat up.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Doubtful its batterys, they are fairly new and start the truck without issue.

It will smoke pretty bad until you go out and drive it, once you drive it, even backing out of the driveway its fine.

Might do a compression test this weekend when I am home... Doubt that is the issue, it runs too good otherwise.

Denver

Reaction score
What about the UVCH? My brother just got his replaced and he hasn't noticed any rough cold starts since.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Didnt have time to work on it this weekend... New baby, low sleep, cold weather... Excuses excuses...

Did get a video of it, however its been windy has hell so its hard to get a sense of how this would cloud up and around the house (really the only concern with it is stinking up the house when letting it warm up for the Sawyer)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e4RIDC3Mjw

I'll be home this coming weekend too and plan on replacing the fuel bowl (my old one with all new O-rings and new filter) and FINALLY hooking up the EV-2 gauges that have been in the pod for a year now.

TARM

Reaction score
OK so on cool mornings it very consistently smokes like that? Then the second you drive it even just 100feet or so everything is fine?

The exhaust does it have that nasty fuel smell?

No codes?

Injector or glow plug system would be my guess. But is it even cold enough for the glow plugs to be active? Maybe a very minimally worn or damaged injector o-ring?

Sorry I can not be of more help.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
yup, cool mornings to cold mornings it will smoke pretty good. I'm going to install a glow plug light the next time I am home, have a laundry list of fix its on the ex right now...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
mine does that exact same thing if its under 40* outside if its the first startup of the day. it will fog out the yard but slowly go away as it warms up... it boggles my mind too.... injectors were put in spring of 2010 along with new glow plugs. thought o-rings might be bad so i had new ones put in last summer. just checked the gpr and ohm'ed out the gp's at the vc connector all ok... im leaning more towards a low compression motor across the board or idle tuning... i can plug the tube on the ccv and flip the oil fill cap over and it will hover there smoothly. so it either has low compression on all cylinders or the idle tuning is off... oh and it pops off quickly when started... no long cranks at all... so i don't have a clue... i know some smoke at cold start is normal but mine is bad and some of the panzys i work with complain about the smell.. can also smell it inside my house when the wind is right... so yes mine has a nasty fuel smell.

sorry i couldn't help..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mine does this also. Mine will smoke white at cold start up until you go drive it. You can start it cold and let it warm up on high idle until it's completely warmed up to operating temp and it will still be smoking. Once you drive it, the smoke clears and is fine after that. I've done the glow plugs and GPR, but I haven't dug into the injectors or anything to try to fix it yet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.