Clean up King Shocks

truckman1974

Reaction score
So as I have pointed out to some of you in the past, I'm a Soldier currently over in West Africa. I'm looking to go home on some leave this summer and I'm just thinking of some things I'd like to do, get, and work on for the truck. I bought the truck from a guy up north and the truck has went through one winter. The King shocks look like they are tarnished a little, so I was wondering what everyone has used or is using on their shocks to keep them shiny? Take a peek at mine and see what you think.....I don't believe they are chrome to begin with (new) but they are supposed to be shinier than they are (pictured). Do you think it's possible to get new decals for them too? Eventually the blue hoses will need replaced as well. I guess at that point I'd just be better taking them off and sending them in to King to be refurbished huh? Thanks for the advice.....

IMG_4998.jpg

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Clean them up and get them clear coated is about all you can do short of having them broken down and powder coated, but then they would have to be reassembled and then re-oiled and recharged.

truckman1974

Reaction score
What do you clean them with? I'd like them to be shiny.... I suppose worst case I could take them off and just have them painted to match the truck......that's an idea...

under construction

Reaction score
^^^ What he said. #0000 steel wool and some black diamond metal polish and they should clean up nice. Then give them a few good coats of poor boys wheel sealant to keep them looking good.

florida 6.0

Reaction score
Are they aluminum or coated like a Bilstein ? On the Bilsteins I use metal polish , wipe down after with rag and brake cleaner then clear coat with Rustoleum clear . Never have to polish again and they shine like a new penny .

truckman1974

Reaction score
That wrap actually looks pretty cool. That's a great idea. Is that just a regular vinyl wrap? Did you do it yourself or have it done? Expensive?

And then after wrapping them you just put the icon logo on it (a sep sticker)?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I had them wrapped by a friend and the Idea is was actually 6.oL stroker's Idea he did his in the gold of the lower two tone. The icon logo is a sticker over top of the vinyl.

truckman1974

Reaction score
I might try that...how long have you had it on there? Any problems (peeling, etc...)? Worst case I just have them painted to match but the wrap is a cool idea that should be inexpensive to try first. That's just the same film someone would wrap their car with (or anything else) right?

Latest posts

Members online