Cleaning intake

6speedsd

Reaction score
So I started tearing into the truck this morning to replace my oil cooler. Got the coolant flushed good over the past couple days. That was some nasty crap that came out of there too! It took 7 or 8 good flushes to get it clean. Anyways, started pulling some random parts off while the hard parts cooled off more. Pulled my intake elbow and got one hell of a surprise. The inside of my intake looks like the worst case of sludge you have ever seen. It's that black gooey mess. I'd hate to see what my intercooler looks like. So what is a good way to clean that mess out of there? Can I saturate it with some degreaser and hose it out? I can wipe around in there where the elbow came off and get a lot of it out but what about the rest of the intake that you can't reach in to?

patrickke

Reaction score
I would use something that is safe with aluminum, the intake I would take to a machine shop and have them hot tank it (which you may be able to do with the inter cooler too).

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
That's the thing. I need the truck running Monday morning.

Good luck..... hot tank is the only thing I have found that works..... that sludge is the oil particles from your ccv recirculating through the air Intake

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
If you know someone with a pressure washer that would be better than nothin.

Yes but u can't reach much of it with a pressure washer.

To the op: take ur time n get them properly cleaned and reroute the ccv.... u will be much happier

6speedsd

Reaction score
That mess was rediculous. I've never seen that much crap in an intake. It was down in the intake ports of the heads too. I've only had the truck for 2 weeks. I assume the previous owner didn't take very good care of it. Probably a lot of idle time and rare oil changes.

SootPowered

Reaction score
Tape off the runners except for one intake hole. Tape off the top where all the power robbing crap hangs out. Turn the intake back over so you can see the runners that you taped up in the first step. Pour about 2 gallons of gasoline and let it set a couple hours. Pour gas out and rinse it out with ample amounts of Dawn Dish Soap.

This is not the prime way to clean a intake. The intake really needs to be cleaned in a sonic dip tank, the ones that vibrate the water to really clean the insides well. The gas method will get you out of a pinch though.

DBQLSC

Reaction score
Tape it off, pour in coil brite, (contact your nearest HVAC dealer) shake, let set for a while, repeat. Gets the manifold !!!!WOW!!!! clean.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I forgot about coil bright. I actually have a bottle of that stuff. Used it a lot at my last job cleaning hydraulic coolers. Stuff works like a charm.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Got it all put back together. Poured in new coolant and started hearing it run out. Leaking around the egr hose at the oil cooler. Managed to snug up the clamp but it didn't help. Ugh! Gotta now remove at least the turbo again just to get down in there. I knew this thing went back together too easy.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Got it all put back together. Poured in new coolant and started hearing it run out. Leaking around the egr hose at the oil cooler. Managed to snug up the clamp but it didn't help. Ugh! Gotta now remove at least the turbo again just to get down in there. I knew this thing went back together too easy.

Why didn't u delete it while it was apart

6speedsd

Reaction score
It is already deleted. Turns out where the rubber hose connects to the oil cooler didn't seal well. Pulled the turbo back out, readjusted the clamp and tightened it down good. No more leak! Took it a minute to fire over but once it did she ran smooth as butter. Took a good long drive and temps stayed within 4 degrees of each other. Mission accomplished!

Latest posts

Members online