Clutch chatter or exhaust leak?

BFT

Reaction score
When I drive I get the clapping chatter ticking noise. I've checked everywhere for signs of an exhaust leak but all seems good. Only thing I can think of is the clutch plates clapping/chattering.
It doesn't do it at idle aside from the normal chatter. Clutch is a valair single disk from what I know.

Also, clutch starts to engage when half way out

tensixniner

Reaction score
It happens only when your using the clutch or anytime your moving?
Metal on metal knock or chirp?
Does the truck jerk when the clutch chatters?

My throw out bearing makes low pitch chirp sometimes, touch the pedal and it's gone. Also get a vibration sometimes, slip the disc and it's gone. Probably an imbalance between the discs and the rest of the clutch.

Aftermarket downpipe will touch the frame, cab or bellhousing on a 6spd truck.

BFT

Reaction score
It happens only when moving and it's a metal on metal knock. Almost like a leaky exhaust manifold at the heads.

In 4th the truck seems like it surges or starts a buck but only when going over 1/2 throttle at over 2k RPM.

I do get a chirp but only when going to a lower gear when slowing down.

My DP also rubs at times. I've had that thing off 3 times trying to adjust it, seems to rub where the starter is on the bell housing.

I'll try to get a video of the sound

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Don't get me started on stick shift downpipes lol. Some manufacturers seem to think stamping "M/T" on the flange will make it it.

Looks identical to automatic one. Matter of fact there's a "manual trans" pipe on my automatic truck.

BFT

Reaction score
I think the one that's in mine is just a factory replacement from valair? I still need to upgrade it but its holding good enough for now

Desertdweller

Reaction score
I think the one that's in mine is just a factory replacement from valair? I still need to upgrade it but its holding good enough for now

The part number for the clutch in your truck is: NMU70432-01 (Val Air) It has Kevlar on one side and something different on the other.. When I bought it they told me it would handle any power that 6.4 could make..lol not even close..

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Is it only doing it when you give it throttle or all the time? Both in and out of gear? Change when the clutch is depressed? From what I can tell it is. May just be when the video is picking up enough sound for me to hear it.

BFT

Reaction score
When I give it throttle and then goes away when I start getting up in RPM. Only in gear and on the throttle, it goes away when the clutch is depressed and if I get off the throttle.

tensixniner

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the video. Sounds like you've got some tire noise too.
The clapping/knocking noise might be the drive shaft. Check the ujoints and look for damage at the ears or for a twisted shaft.
Have a look at the rear Trans mount too.
Have you checked fluids in the trans, t-case and rear diff?

What tune are you running?
Get the noise in 4HI or 4LOW?

BFT

Reaction score
The fluid in the trans was almost 3qts low so I know that's fixed now. The u joints seem to be ok (aside from the passenger side front that needs a new seal). I haven't checked the t-case fluid or the rear diff.
The noise only happens at 2-2250 rpm. Once it hits 2250 there is no noise, just come trot stops. This is under normal driving.

BFT

Reaction score
Well finally got it all fixed, the pinion was doing the harlem shake and hitting the housing. Bad them do the seals in the front as well. So far no machine gun noise any more.
Thanks for everyone's help