Clutch Issue

Ballistic

Reaction score
I have a 2000 F250 7.3L ZF6. Recently the clutch has been getting stuck in the full down position, and even when in this position is not Out of Gear, IE Neutral. I have had to hold the brake down to keep the truck from moving in an unfavorable direction, and eventually the engine dies.

I drove it back home and parked it after having to put the clutch in to select a gear, using my foot to pull the clutch back out, and pushing it in again to change gears. What is causing this, and how do I resolve it? Thanks!:toast:

Ballistic

Reaction score
Is there a write up or more information someone knows about? I am fairly handy with tools, but I have never operated on a clutch before.

Ballistic

Reaction score
So I finally got around to looking into this more. The hydraulic fluid was a little low, so I topped it off. Pulled the slave cylinder out and actuated it a few times to ensure there was no air in the system. Is there any other test I can do to the slave cylinder to verify that it is my issue? I would hate to start spending money without knowing for sure. I drained the transmission and pulled the inspection cover as well, looking for clues, but the oil looked fine, and I couldn't see any damage or shavings.

Also, not related, but the truck has been sitting for the last 3 months, and when I started it recently, it had a high pitched pinging sound coming from the passenger side. It was similar to a child hitting a pot with a spoon at a slightly slower tempo than idle RPMs. While under the truck I noticed that there was some oil residue caked on the bottom of the oil pan, after realizing I started the truck without checking the oil I immediately shut it down, and checked the oil. NOTHING ON THE DIPSTICK! I added ~1.5 gallons of oil. Now my truck has never leaked and there is no oil on the ground where the truck sat, so I am boggled where that much oil disappeared to. I do have a fumoto oil drain valve, so I suppose someone could have tampered with it, but I haven't had any issue with any of my vehicles being messed with before.

Since these trucks deliver fuel via oil pressure, am I correct in thinking that the engine wouldn't start if it was seriously low on oil?

Thanks in advance for ANY ideas/comments.

79jasper

Reaction score
Correct on the oil thing.
It's possible that the pressure plate could be bad also, but I'd start simple with the slave and master.
I can't say on the pinging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ive seen broken pedals cause this too. Take a close look at the push rod mount, make sure its not wore out or broke.

Latest posts

Members online