Clutch Issues! Urgent

b.knight0926

Reaction score
Was driving along and the clutch pedal drops to the floor, won't return, and can't shift. Get pulled off find that the clutch pedal works freely with no resistance except from the spring so I figure I have a hydraulic issue. There are no leaks around the clutch master cylinder and nothing along any of the lines all the way up to the bell housing. For ****s and giggles I leave the master cylinder cap off and pump the pedal a few times and all the fluid comes out of the bottom of the bell housing.

The best I can figure is that I blew the slave cylinder. What I could use is some fairly decently details on replacing these. Truck is sitting in a driveway and the owners were nice enough to let me keep it there to avoid paying for a tow.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
They are fairly easy, quarter turn counter clockwise and they pull right out of the bell housing. I cant remember if they come with all the hydraulic line or not, but thats not too hard if it does, just trace and remove the line, and reinstall new one. Or see if you can get an entire assembly and not have to worry about bleeding the system.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Nope its hanging out there in the open. Front of trans, faces rearward, on drivers side. Big black plastic deal with a hose going to it.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Buy a complete bled assembly from where ever you get it. Ill suggest ford, but parts places can get them.

Also, if you're in a pinch and need to get the truck going the 7.3 zf-6 setups interchange with yours also.

Only real difference is how the resi mounts.

b.knight0926

Reaction score
Got the truck home and am going to start in on it tomorrow. I was reading a zf service manual and wasn't finding much in the way of trouble shooting. Im sure I'll have to replace the master/slave and lines (might as well do it all) but was else should I be looking for? Would it be best the pull the transmission? and what should I check if I need to?

co04cobra

Reaction score
You don't need to pull the trans. It's a 20min job to put in a complete bled slave/master combo. If you had fluid coming from the bell housing that's more then likely your problem.

Just pull the slave out of the bell housing and see if it's leaking.

A complete bled kit includes everything from your clutch pedal inside the truck to the trans.

Latest posts

Members online