Clutch replacement

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Stock DMF finally gave up on life and I need to get it swapped out ASAP. I have a Valair kevlar/ceramic waiting to go in. Are there any tips or tricks to make the install go easier? Someone said I can just slide the trans back- will it move back far enough to get the job done or do I have to drop it?

Krause

Reaction score
If it were me I would just drop it. The ZF-5 is small enough that you can man handle it around much more easily than an auto. Then you can be sure of the clutch being centered and all that business. Once it's disconnected enough to slide back, an extra 10 minutes can have it down.. I think i read someone say that they dont even use a jack for the ZF5, just bench press it up and out; dont know if thats truthful, wouldnt be my style, but Ide take it out.

Reaction score
The trans isn't that small. I used a trans jack adapter on my floor jack. A 4x4 tranny with the transfer case attached will be much more awkward. My only tip is if you have an extra flywheel-to-crank-bolt, cut the head off to make a "dowel" that you can hang the flywheel off of while you put in the other bolts (it's not easy to hold the lywheel up with one hand and get a bolt started). Cheers!

morefuel

Reaction score
Most of it seemed pretty straight forward the two times i've done it in the last year and a half but i did have a tranny jack. One small issue it when getting it out for i had to drop the motor down in back about as far as it would go to get the bellhousing to clear the firewall. Another really handy thing is to get everything good and clean beforehand so you don't waste precious hours getting dirt out of your eyes.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Take all your hydraulics, shifter and such out. Take the trans loose from the cross member first and Jack the trans up. Pull the cross member. I pulled the trans and tcase out as one the first time. Which was a horrible idea. Separate them first.

Let the back of the trans down and get a long extension and pull the top four bolts. Jack the trans back up and then pull the lower two. Get under it, grab and pull. I will say a harbor freight trans jack is worth the money though. Made the job a lot easier the second time around.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I didn't separate the t-case and trans and I had no issues dropping it or getting it back in. A ratchet strap wrapped around the output shaft on the t-case worked great for dropping it, I used a bottle jack to help stabilize it when going back in. I pulled all the bellhousing bolts before dropping the trans with no issues. All in all the job wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

Latest posts