Coil conversion for 2001

Clem1226

Reaction score
not to sound like a DB but no matter how far from the tires the body is lifted the leaf springs are still going to be in the same location relative to the tires, the only way to change the relationship of the tires to the leaf springs it to increase the backspacing of the wheels.

Layson

Reaction score
It is kind of a waste to run coilovers on a stock height truck. You will actually get less suspension travel with that setup. Just think of all the hardware that has to be installed. The same parts that go on a 8" kit would need to fit on their at stock height. You start running out of room quick. For stock height I would look into the 05+ axles and suspension components.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
If I could get stock height for 2k I would be ordering them...:drool: hate that everywhere in a town has no room to just turn and go. I do a 3 point once a day at work because the parking spots are too close. Not side to side either, its front of my truck to the back of the one in front of me, way too short. At best if a little hatch is in front of me I can crank it and go.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
It isn't really too bad. If you can find a donor truck. It is mainly just time. I think my friend had 3500 into 08 axles and stock suspension components. which isn't really that great of a deal. Then an 05 track rod bracket and he had to get an 08 steering box. Brakes are not a big deal and run the ABS sensors out of your old axles. Sell your old axles and stock suspension and be into it 2-3,000. Probably a LOT less if you shop craigslist all the time. Just takes a little bit of work, time, and space.

In my opinion the turning radius is the biggest improvement over the bigger brakes, wheel bearings, and axle. Especially with the crew cab long bed trucks.

I know on my setup with 01 axles and coilovers, my turning radius is awesome now. It is like driving a different truck. No matter how high I lifted my truck my tires still rubbed the leaf springs. I don't think anyone I know that has a lifted truck with aftermarket wheels didn't have them scrub on the leaf springs.

I dont... Not with the new wheels...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yeah that is the key component is your new wheels. I don't think you could even turn lock to lock on your old setup... LOL.

Oh I could, but the tires were the lock on the springs. Dont notice much better turning radius, so I doubt it was effecting it much.

What wheels you running? Backspace 4.5"?

Back spacing is 4.5" on the current wheels. It was 4.75 with the old wheels.

There some Ultra 151's. 16.5's so I can run military take off's.

INFRNL

Reaction score
I know on my setup with 01 axles and coilovers, my turning radius is awesome now. It is like driving a different truck. No matter how high I lifted my truck my tires still rubbed the leaf springs. I don't think anyone I know that has a lifted truck with aftermarket wheels didn't have them scrub on the leaf springs.

So you still have the 01 axles on your current truck or did you change to the 05+? I imagine 16in wheels will not work on the newer axles with bigger brakes?

Layson

Reaction score
Yep still have the old axles on my truck. You can get a 16" wheel on an 08 axle but the clearance isn't very much. It just barely clears but it is too tight to run them on the truck.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Yep still have the old axles on my truck. You can get a 16" wheel on an 08 axle but the clearance isn't very much. It just barely clears but it is too tight to run them on the truck.

Thanks. A lot of times I think about coils or coilovers but the cost to convert kills it for me. As much as I don't drive my truck, I have a tough time dishing out a ton of money for a kit.
Also the kits seem to be for larger lifts. Id only want 4-6 at most, just enough to clear my 315s.

You already know some of my thought, just re expressing for those that dont know.

Thanks again for the info

Lang

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Now I'm torn between going cheaper with leaf lift or start looking for 05+ suspension lol

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
If you use the truck in town a lot it seems the added turning radius would be awesome.
I want it, just don't like the price.

Latest posts

Members online