Cold start haze and rich smell from exhaust

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Lately I've been having some hazing at cold starts even till truck completely gets up to temp. It smells like a rich diesel smell. I have not normally smelt this? Any ideas? If I drive before completely up to temp it will billow lil bit of whitish smoke. This only happens before up to temp though. I have added Ar9100 to my oil, which I I've recently switched to Valvoline Premium Blue. I also have started adding Ar6200 to the fuel at fill up.
Just ordered the upgraded fuel spring kit and upgraded "hollow" banjos.

golfer

Reaction score
have you done any diagnostics?

low FICM voltage can mechanically retard the injection timing (low voltage will mechanically delay the movement of the spool valve)< which would cause the injs to fire very late, possibly as late as still injecting late into the 'power' stroke of each cylinder. here's instructions we give out:

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/site/how_to_pdf/pdf/FICMvoltageTest.pdf

a leaking injector nozzle would dribble fuel into the cylinder through all 4 strokes of the piston, and not just at the top of the compression stroke...< this could be VERY damaging to the engine...you could burn a hole in a piston in very short order.

non functioning GPCM or glowplugs could also explain excess smoke on a cold start...since the cyls wouldn't have warmed up enough to cause more complete combustion of the injected volume of fuel.

if the smoke didn't have such a strong 'diesel' smell...then you might investigate the EGR cooler (if still equipped), or head gaskets...but the strong diesel odor is going to most likely going to be a result of one of the first 3 scenarios.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Honestly it is a strong diesel smell.... Hoping its not injectors.... I can handle the other 2. How hard is it to replace Glowplugs? Already found a set for under $70.

Nic

Reaction score
have you done any diagnostics?

low FICM voltage can mechanically retard the injection timing (low voltage will mechanically delay the movement of the spool valve)< which would cause the injs to fire very late, possibly as late as still injecting late into the 'power' stroke of each cylinder. here's instructions we give out:

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/site/how_to_pdf/pdf/FICMvoltageTest.pdf

a leaking injector nozzle would dribble fuel into the cylinder through all 4 strokes of the piston, and not just at the top of the compression stroke...< this could be VERY damaging to the engine...you could burn a hole in a piston in very short order.

non functioning GPCM or glowplugs could also explain excess smoke on a cold start...since the cyls wouldn't have warmed up enough to cause more complete combustion of the injected volume of fuel.

if the smoke didn't have such a strong 'diesel' smell...then you might investigate the EGR cooler (if still equipped), or head gaskets...but the strong diesel odor is going to most likely going to be a result of one of the first 3 scenarios.

YUP!! i have the same issue...just a slight haze. glow plugs 1, 5 and 7 on mine are toast. never changed em before but i aint in no hurry. the truck sits pretty in the driveway more than anything.

Dalpilot

Reaction score
Changing the glow plugs requires a deep 10mm socket. They just unscrew like a sparkplug would on a gasser. Be very caful when taking off the harness as it is very easy to damage the harness.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Changing the glow plugs requires a deep 10mm socket. They just unscrew like a sparkplug would on a gasser. Be very caful when taking off the harness as it is very easy to damage the harness.

Wow seriously? I'm not too knowledgeable on diesel engine tear downs, so I was not sure

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
I seem to be having a similar problem, but mine is seems to come an go. Could weak glow plugs do this? I have an AE at home and ran a power balance test but I do not know if I did it correctly. Seems like the line just ran straight across will a very small wobble.

My FICM looks to be a little weak AE shows 42 v then 48 then 46. Does it normally jump around?

Jeremy did you figure out what is wrong?

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
No I never figured it out yet. My FICM was running pretty well per my CTS never dropped below 47v.... Until the 6hour road trip I just took. I saw 46v. I'm thinkin of replacing my glow plugs to see if it resolves it.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I seem to be having a similar problem, but mine is seems to come an go. Could weak glow plugs do this? I have an AE at home and ran a power balance test but I do not know if I did it correctly. Seems like the line just ran straight across will a very small wobble.

My FICM looks to be a little weak AE shows 42 v then 48 then 46. Does it normally jump around?

Jeremy did you figure out what is wrong?

no it should hold hold 48+- .5

fords spec is no lower than 45-46

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
Did you have to buy the kit and new plugs.... I was told u have to remove the valve cover cause they tend to break off or something.

You do not have to remove the valve cover. But as dalpilot stated it doesn't take much to damage the harness. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the harnesses if you decide to do glow plugs.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You do not have to remove the valve cover. But as dalpilot stated it doesn't take much to damage the harness. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the harnesses if you decide to do glow plugs.

the harnesses are just a cock to get out,without the vcs and oil rails out.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
the harnesses are just a cock to get out,without the vcs and oil rails out.

Agreed and usually get damaged during the process if you don't pull the valve covers and oil rails. That's why I said he should just do the harnesses while he is in there if he can.

Latest posts

Members online