Cold start quandary

Dieselsmoke

Reaction score
I am having cold start issues with my 1999. I have replaced the following items on it: glow plugs,gpr, batteries, and uvch with gasket. I know my relay works I control it with switch in the cab. Also it has a new ipr and icp. I bought the truck and am slowly working on fixing problems from old owners. My question is this where do I need to look besides injectors. Supposedly the injectors had new orings last year. My symptoms are hard starting when below 30 degrees with lots of white smoke. When it is 50 or so it will fire up quickly. Also I switched to a 5w40 oil and fuel filter. It will start once plugged in after an hour or so. Any insight would be helpful thank you.

Macon

Reaction score
I would guess injectors are getting tired. Also, just because you are manually controlling the gpr (silly idea) that doesn't mean it's working properly. My gpr was working like a champ, but the contacts were so burnt that no power was going to the gp's. Hook an LED up to the gp side of the relay, mount it in the cab somewhere, and you'll always know when power is going to your plugs.

Dieselsmoke

Reaction score
The reason they are manually controlled is because someone put a remote start in it and it is a nightmare of wiring under the dash. I control it by grouding out the PCM portion of the relay. I also know that 4 of the injectors have been replaced over the years because three of the injectors are alliant and one has different solenoid on top. I wonder if the cheap dorman gaskets that were there before took out another injector. It has 157000 miles on it

sbracing240

Reaction score
Make sure the engine is cranking at a good speed. Mine is also a 99 and few years ago the starter got old and tired. I had original start at 180,000 miles. I had new batteries glow plugs gpr and still had hard time starting when cold. It takes a lot to crank the big motor when cold out with thick oil. If it's the original start try that before injectors it's easier.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
check the connections for every glowplug, Its not hard to get a poor connection in the connectors. Then once those check out go to the starter, if its weak its worth getting a new one. THEN go to injectors and HPO that drives them

co04cobra

Reaction score
You need to check numerous other things before you go throwing new injectors at it....

Dieselsmoke

Reaction score
Well I took the valve covers off again and checked my glowplugs and they are tight. I think my starter is running well it spins fast enough to get it to go. I can get it started if I hold the acclerator at about 3/4 throttle after a few cranks. I get white smoke with a heavy fuel smell followed by a blue oily haze that disappears after warm.
I talked to a master tech here in town and watch the oil spill ports. I did I think I have two that are pushing a lot of oil out of them. Does any one have a link to a video that shows a good versus a bad flow out of them?

Dieselsmoke

Reaction score
My tach doesn't register as I crank on it. My question is why would be my starter if it kicks it on when the truck is warm. Also it doesn't struggle at 55 degrees? Also this can't be as simple as a cps can it since it clears up when warm and I don't have problems with randomly shutting down.

Arisley

Reaction score
Fix that nightmare of wiring and I bet your problem clears up. Even if it doesn't, you can then rule it out and start diagnosing the issue.

Dieselsmoke

Reaction score
Well the wiring is under the dash. I was poking around tonight watching my injectors as the ran looking for abnormal amounts of oil out of one. I noticed my engine oil temperature sensor wiring is cracked. Could this be the fair of all my problems.

golfer

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.