cold start?

smokey73

Reaction score
I have a 2003 with a 6.0 and when its cold (below 30*) and i try to start my truck after sitting over night after the glow plug light goes out the truck just cranks over and never attempts to even fire but if i cycle the glow plugs again starts right up and i get allot of white smoke and the smell of diesel. If i do a cold start with two key cycles for two glow plug cycles and then start takes right off any idea on why this happens?

webb06

Reaction score
Do you have some bad glowplugs maybe? Are the injectors good? Or are they sticking a little?

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Had a 02 7.3 that would take forever to start, 30-45 mins of glow plug cycling 1.5 minutes at a time and cranking every third cycle when below freezing, would smoke and miss like crazy for about 30 seconds after it finally fired.
Plug in block heater for 1/2 hour and it would start right up with no smoke and idle smooth. I think it was a glow plug issue.

06 needed 2 glow plug cycles, would throw a puff of smoke and idle rough for a few seconds sometimes when cold before i switched to rotella t6 and put some hot shot secret in. Dont know if the additive helped tho, may have been just the oil. This i think was a stiction issue.

Ive also noticed that about 10 seconds after the buzz cycle stops it looses all fuel pressure on the gauge. If you dont key it within a few seconds of the gauge dropping to zero it wont fire right away. Idk wtf this is about yet.

Have you tried plugging the heater in?
If solves it i bet you have a glow plug or 2 gone.

Last edited:

Cold Roller

Reaction score
First off, there is no need to plug it in at 20*F or warmer. If it starts hard, you have an impending problem. Don't feel bad, lots of people have stiction issues.

After about 20 seconds the fuel pump will stop, this is normal. If you try to start it, it will not start until the fuel pressure is up, a few extra seconds longer than normal.

The glow-plugs will continue to heat after the light is out on the dash! Recycling before 2 minutes will only restart the fuel pump cycle. Normally a glow-plug will kick a code if bad, but not always. If you have corrosion or weak plugs, it will be a bear to start.

Your second start sequence could also be due to oil bleed back during a cold start. Perhaps you need to check the filters, cap and the internals of the oil filter bowl.

Reaction score
just based on age I'd check the glow plugs individually. short of using an aftermarket oil filter, the filter should not be an issue. DO NOT use any filter other than FORD. even non syn 15W40 is not an issue at 20 degrees.

bryant passarella

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with my 00 7.3 below 32 would not start found 2 glow plugs bad replaced all 8 still having the same problem. I replaced the gpr with the stancor white Rodger relay and the truck has been starting in mid 20s with key one for 1.5 min befor cranking starts right up little white smoke witch I find is normal for cold starting on diesel. It's my understanding that the stock relay can not handle the 2 min continuous power output and falls short. The stancor is double the size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The 6.0 uses a completely different gp controller. I don't think it's ever been a major trouble spot like on the 7.3.

Key on for 1.5 minutes before cranking? Your still have issues. 5 seconds after the light is out it should fire right up. A good running 6.0 starts with no or VERY little smoke. 1-2 seconds at most

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Did ya get this figured out?

Just wondering if you've tried the T6 and if it worked for you. If you haven't do it and i bet it'll fix your problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online