Cold weather oil

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Temps down @ 0 with-15 wind chill. She fired right up this morning on first hit and ran smooth. Only thing different I've done I put a small can of 2cycle oil and something different they had at the store I stopped for gelling. Oh well,she's just getting used to it! Lil better than I am,lol!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I've been running the Delo per Lincoln and it sucks monkey balls. Lol! Just joking. No complaints so far. I was thinking about trying the synthetic Delo 5w40 at under $20 bucks a pop but they only had 3 on the shelf at Wally World. Anyone run this stuff yet?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
lol.. just stick with the dino delo oil.. i tried the synthetic in whitey and it didnt hold icp as well as the dino does..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Dirtclod

Reaction score
It's still starting good,no smoke and no rough running. I'm going to stay with Dino oil,lil 4stroke oil and standadyne or something similar. If it works I'll stay with it!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It's still starting good,no smoke and no rough running. I'm going to stay with Dino oil,lil 4stroke oil and standadyne or something similar. If it works I'll stay with it!
full torque from jimdawg185

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
full torque from jimdawg185

live life full throttle

Is that the stuff with the cetain booster? I need to do the rear diff, transmission and transfer case fluid changes and would love to try that stuff.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Is that the stuff with the cetain booster? I need to do the rear diff, transmission and transfer case fluid changes and would love to try that stuff.

yeah man.. you can get everything you need for your list from him!

live life full throttle

Nick7.3

Reaction score
I switched from rotella t6 5w40 to shaeffers synthetic 15w40. Cold starts where better with the 5w40 but my icp pressures where almost 250-300 higher with the 15w40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CurtisF

Reaction score
I switched from rotella t6 5w40 to shaeffers synthetic 15w40. Cold starts where better with the 5w40 but my icp pressures where almost 250-300 higher with the 15w40

That doesn't make any sense. ICP pressures are regulated by the PCM, and the PCM doesn't know what brand or weight of oil is in the motor.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That doesn't make any sense. ICP pressures are regulated by the PCM, and the PCM doesn't know what brand or weight of oil is in the motor.
you haven't ever seen a cold start with icp higher then normal? i know the delo 15/40 i use will hold higher icp wot longer in the oci then just about every other oil i tried.

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
The truck will do whatever it needs to maintain an idle. A higher icp for a conventional oil makes sense, because it's more viscous. It will take more pressure to deliver the same amount of fuel assuming the pw stays the same than it does for a less viscous (at low temp) synthetic. Cold flow characteristics are where the synthetics shine. They just don't require as much force/pressure/whatever to get good flowrates. In this system, oil flowrates are coupled to fuel flowrates. I hope I didn't confuse you more with my blather. Lol!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The truck will do whatever it needs to maintain an idle. A higher icp for a conventional oil makes sense, because it's more viscous. It will take more pressure to deliver the same amount of fuel assuming the pw stays the same than it does for a less viscous (at low temp) synthetic. Cold flow characteristics are where the synthetics shine. They just don't require as much force/pressure/whatever to get good flowrates. In this system, oil flowrates are coupled to fuel flowrates. I hope I didn't confuse you more with my blather. Lol!

not all synthetics shine

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
not all synthetics shine

live life full throttle

You are absolutely right! I shouldn't have over generalized the differences. Hopefully he gits the gist of why the icps where different between the two oils from my comment. Then again, I confuse myself sometimes. Lol!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You are absolutely right! I shouldn't have over generalized the differences. Hopefully he gits the gist of why the icps where different between the two oils from my comment. Then again, I confuse myself sometimes. Lol!

in theory, you are absolutely correct.. my delo 15/40 was almost identical in a cold start scenario as amsoil 15/40.. my delo is better then rochitta t6 5/40 and valvoline extreme blue 5/40...

other than amsoil, its consistent in the 3 7.3s i take care of delo dino over the others.. i really need to compare L.E. too... i think i know a guy...

live life full throttle

Dirtclod

Reaction score
This morning I had to to try 3 times before it fired off. It wasn't even below freezing. When it fired it blew white smoke but it didn't run rough at all. No issues the rest of the day. Only thing I've done different is I haven't added anything in the fuel. I filled it up this afternoon and put 2 cycle oil and stantadyne. But I'm thinking glo plugs. I'll take up to a mechanic tomorrow and schedule a checkup.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
This morning I had to to try 3 times before it fired off. It wasn't even below freezing. When it fired it blew white smoke but it didn't run rough at all. No issues the rest of the day. Only thing I've done different is I haven't added anything in the fuel. I filled it up this afternoon and put 2 cycle oil and stantadyne. But I'm thinking glo plugs. I'll take up to a mechanic tomorrow and schedule a checkup.

its not an oil issue if its not romping on startup.. no need for 2 cycle oil, if using a good additive.. stanadyne is ok, power service white bottle is ok, hows is ok, L.E. FULL TORQUE from jimdawg185 on here is some bad ass chit!!

live life full throttle

jaybuller

Reaction score
do any of you that have done research on oil additive packages in each oil know which one has the best over all package for soot combat? ive got a new 7.3 now and the rings are shot(im not rebuilding just running it as is) but the oil turns black as night within a few hundred miles due to heavy soot in the oil.

dmd

Reaction score
If it is just cold for a few days I would just plug it in (if available). Cost just a few
$ rather than change the oil. Now you in the snow belt really do need winter oil. I may
have a below freezing start maybe once or twice a year, I just cycle the plugs a few times
and it fires right up with some smoke and lots of noise.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
do any of you that have done research on oil additive packages in each oil know which one has the best over all package for soot combat? ive got a new 7.3 now and the rings are shot(im not rebuilding just running it as is) but the oil turns black as night within a few hundred miles due to heavy soot in the oil.
stock setting light on the skinny

my brothers 02 is the only diesel truck I know of that still has brown oil on the dipstick throughout the oci of 5k miles.. just a tow tune and a dd tune. no hot or all out setting, zero smoke and it runs so smooth.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.