Colormatching

GReeves

Reaction score
Any of you guys with experience color matching parts....I am sending my Ford emblems and side badges off for paint in the morning. Now that leaves the grille shell and bumpers. Should I have them painted or do y'all think powder coating those pieces would hold up better. There is a paint shop near me that contracts with the big Chevy/Dodge dealer, but seems like their paint work just doesn't hold up to every day driving. 99% of the vehicles that I see that have been painted by them have serious chips in the paint. Ultimately I'm hoping to get my grille shell and bumpers color matched Ingot Silver for a decent price while retaining quality. Any suggestions help, thanks

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Iv been told by a couple poweder coating shops near me that color matching is difficult and not always possible.
But poweder coat will always hold up better then paint.
I sure hope your not sending your emblems and side badges to that painter your talking about who does the contracts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

truckman1974

Reaction score
The grill shell is made of plastic right? Can plastic be powdercoated? I don't think it can but I could be wrong...

NY_Mott

Reaction score
b5e307644dc275503d3d6f903d289376.jpg

Seems like it's possible just might take some extra prep work.
Iv got a big pile of parts heading to powder coat here soon; so are getting powder some anodizing and then later in the year more for paint. I will be using the same shop for all the work as I feel I can hold them to higher standard of color matching and quality with so many parts being done by them.
Big thing is I want to make sure it all matches to the best it can from powder to anodizing and paint I want top notch quailty.

OP I hope yours turn out great post up some photos when you get them back.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
from what I've heard from the powder guys it's pretty much impossible to get it to match exactly.

if you are happy with 'close' than yea, go for it. Powder will outlast paint especially on a spot that sees a lot of stones, sand and bugs.

truckman1974

Reaction score
Hmmm.........I'd be interested in seeing the pics of what you get and how it matches. Especially if it's ingot silver :)

zporta

Reaction score
I've saw someone who said they had a perfect tri-white match. But getting the color out of people who get a perfect match is damn near impossible

sootie

Reaction score
Why not just vinyl wrap? 3m has a 1080 film called gloss white aluminum that is a perfect match for ingot silver.

08Monster

Reaction score
Sub'd. Might wanna wrap some stuff. Any perfect matches for pueblo gold or tri white?

GReeves

Reaction score
I thought about hydro dipping instead of wrapping but my buddy that does it said it was better to have them painted or powder coated. No I didn't send my emblems and side vents to the people that have that dealer contract...especially after they quoted me $1500 to paint the grille shell and fromt and rear bumper...i should have my vents and emblems back tomorrow hopefully. Will post pics after i install them. I'm interested in finding a good "wrap guy" that carries that 3M wrap that sootie mentioned tho!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.